Whip up a delicious holiday treat with these super easy and yummy chocolate peppermint mason jar trifles! Layers of moist and flavorful chocolate peppermint cake with cool whipped topping and crunchy peppermint pieces!
I’m a sucker for anything in a mason jar, specifically, dessert in a mason jar.
I don’t understand what all the rage is about with you meal prep freaks needing to have your salads, snacks, and other crap in mason jars just ready to eat on the go. Clearly, mason jars were built for desserts only! Ha ha, I kid, I kid.
Mason jars are really the perfect vessel for just about anything though, not just drinks. I have a huge affinity for all things chocolate and cute. Case in point, these chocolate peppermint mason jar trifles. I’ve made these trifles a few times and am making them again to take to a friend’s holiday house party soon. I just know they’re going to go like hotcakes.
The chocolate cake is extra decadent, moist, and flavorful! It is made homemade, from scratch, and I know you guys are gonna love it. To me, it’s worth skipping the boxed version because of how delicious it is. Once you make the cake, the rest is easy peasy. You simply layer the crumbled chocolate cake and alternate it with the cool whipped topping and peppermint pieces. These trifles are perfect for that holiday party you’re attending, to make with the kids, or to gift to some neighbors out of love.
I’ve been enjoying these chocolate slices of heaven on repeat recently while watching some of my favorite fall/winter shows. There’s something about eating dessert while watching tv that just feels right, ya know? I need to get into some new shows, so leave a comment for me down below with some of your favorite tv shows and eats! If you’re looking for other sweet treats, look here and here.
- 1¾ cups, all-purpose flour
- 2 cups, sugar
- ¾ cup good quality cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 1 cup brewed hot coffee
- 1-2 tubs of cool whipped topping
- 4-6 tbsp crushed peppermint pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Grease a 9 x 13 cake pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of an electric mixer; sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to combine.
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and peppermint extract.
- With the electric mixer/ or in the large bowl, slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Then slowly add the coffee until just combined. Don't worry, you cannot taste the coffee in the cake whatsoever, it adds a richness and depth that enhances the chocolate cake.
- Be sure to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula to make sure all of the mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cake cool and then crumble cake.
- In mason jars, alternate the crumbled cake with layers of cool whipped topping and crushed peppermint pieces.