Take a slice of heaven with this Sweet Potato Cake with Vanilla Bourbon Glaze; a super moist, intensely flavorful cake with a sweet twist.
Are you a sweet potato or pumpkin lover???
I must admit- I am an avid pumpkin enthusiast. I most often gravitate towards pumpkin flavored anything rather than sweet potato baked goods. To me, sweet potato has a more milder flavor than pumpkin. I’ve been playing around with a few sweet potato baked goods in the kitchen and I’m so happy to bring this cake to your screen (and soon, your plates!).
If there was ever a time that eating a slice a cake can get you close to heaven; it’s with this cake. When it comes to cake, I need my cake to be super moist (no dry nonsense over here, please). This sweet potato cake is super fluffy and crumbly and sweet but not overly sweet. And yes, some cakes can be too sweet- almost to the point where you can’t really even enjoy it because you’re worried about becoming a diabetic. As in you can feel the sugar flowing in your bloodstream, ha!
I plan on making this cake again for Thanksgiving because it was such a hit with everyone. If you have any recipe ideas or plans for the holidays, please share them below- I love hearing from you guys.
The sweet potato cake isn’t the only thing to love here; that vanilla bourbon glaze soaking atop this beauty is taking this cake to another dimension. Speaking of dimensions- side convo alert! My sister once told me a story about how when I was little and how I could go under the bed covers and pretend that I was in another dimension. No, seriously- she says that I would start jumping all around and screaming under the covers talking crazily about this dimension I was in. That story gets me every time!
Let’s get back to this cake.
The vanilla bourbon glaze adds the perfect touch of sweetness with a hint of booze. I mean, how can you go wrong with dessert that contains some booze?
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup canned sweet potato puree
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- *Optional: powdered sugar for dusting over cake
- Vanilla Bourbon Glaze
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp bourbon
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp heavy cream or milk
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour one 10-inch fluted tube/bundt pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, water, sweet potato, oil, and vanilla.
- Stir in both flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt until combined.
- Pour batter into bundt pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire wire for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, in a medium bowl store together powdered sugar, bourbon, vanilla extract, cream/milk, and salt.
- Pour over cake and let set before slicing.