This extra flavorful veggie rigatoni is crazy good! Sautéed veggies like peppers, zucchini, and mushrooms are blended with mozzarella and ricotta cheeses then topped with gooey burrata and parmesan bread crumbs!
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped basil
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 oz bag shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 balls burrata cheese
Parmesan Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cook rigatoni pasta according to package directions, al dente- then set pasta aside.
- Using a large skillet, heat dry skillet over medium heat. Once skillet is hot, add in mushrooms. Mushrooms contain some moisture and cooking them dry first will let the moisture come out so that they brown nicely. Stir mushrooms around for a good 10 minutes or until you start to see the moisture evaporate.
- Add butter into skillet and continue stirring. Then add in onions, peppers, zucchini and continue stirring veggies around until veggies turn golden and become fragrant. Add garlic, chopped basil, and seasonings- red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste preference.
- Lastly, add in pasta, diced tomatoes and ricotta cheese into skillet and stir everything together until combined. Pour veggie rigatoni into a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or casserole dish. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese directly on top and bake for about 25 minutes or until top of pasta is golden brown.
- Pull pasta out and add burrata cheese and sprinkle parmesan bread crumbs on top. Then put back into oven and adjust the oven temp to 400°F. Bake again until burrata melts, about 10 minutes.
Parmesan Bread Crumbs
- In a small bowl; stir melted butter, bread crumbs, and grated parmesan cheese together.
This recipe can easily be made vegan by swapping the butter for vegan butter and using vegan cheese.