This skillet cornbread is true to its Southern roots; rich, decadent, warm and buttery. Grab your skillet and make this cornbread to accompany your next dinner.
- 3 cups, yellow corn meal
- 1 1/2 sticks, unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups, buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp, baking powder
- 2 tbsp, bacon fat (you can also use butter)
- 3/4 tsp, baking soda
- 1 tsp, salt (I prefer sea salt)
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- Cook bacon in oven or on stove and reserve 2 tbsp of bacon fat (you can also use melted butter).
- When the oven is pre-heated, place your skillet (10in) into the oven while you prepare cornbread mixture.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs and pour in the buttermilk and whisk until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine corn meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Open the oven and carefully pull rack out with cast iron skillet on top and add bacon fat/butter directly onto skillet. Be sure skillet is full coated.
- Carefully add cornbread mixture to skillet and smooth out batter in skillet. The batter will sizzle when it hits the hot skillet.
- Bake cornbread for about 30 minutes and enjoy warm with butter.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Southern