An elevated take on a classic, this brown butter pineapple upside-down cake is super moist, flavorful, and bursting with brown butter nuttiness!
- 1 (20oz) can of pineapple slices
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) browned butter
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherries, about 7
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- For the cake:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) browned butter, melted/cooled
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- *Optional: vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 10-inch cake pan with cooking spray.
- For topping: arrange pineapple slices, maraschino cherries, and pecans to bottom of cake pan. Spread evenly.
- Topping instructions cont’d- In a small sauce pan, melt butter over low heat and brown butter. Stir in brown sugar, cooking until sugar is dissolved. Be sure to whisk mixture continuously. Cook for about 1-2 minutes. Pour mixture over pineapple/cherries/pecans in cake pan.
- For the cake: In a large bowl, whisk browned butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Be sure to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Add in vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with the milk- beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Whisk until just combined, careful not to over mix batter. Then fold in sour cream with a spatula.
- Spread cake batter evenly over pineapple mixture in cake pan.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cake cool in pan before inverting cake onto a plate.
- Once inverted, cut into slices, top with ice cream; if desired, and enjoy!
Feel free to either omit pecans entirely or substitute with your favorite kind of nuts.