These soft + chewy coconut macadamia bars have sweetened flaked coconut, plenty of macadamia nuts, a lil’ white chocolate and a rich buttery crust!
I have a secret to tell you.
For the longest time I wasn’t a fan of coconut at all. I hated the taste of it in cakes, cookies, pies, etc. Now my mom on the other hand absolutely loves coconut anything. One year for her birthday I made her a german chocolate coconut cake and ate zero slices. I’m not even kidding.
And then a few years ago, I started to give coconut a try. I slowly began adding it to my baked goods and I realized it wasn’t as bad as I conjured it up to be. Now macadamia nuts on the other hand, I’m a true fiend for! Aside from pecans, I love me some macadamia nuts. One of my favorite desserts is white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, yumm.
And these coconut macadamia bars so so freakin’ easy and delicious. It’s basically a simple mixture that sits atop a nice shortbread-like crust and then topped with more shredded coconut. These bars are pretty much perfect for any occasion or get together.
- For the crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup salted butter, melted and cooled
- For the topping
- 1 [14 oz] can sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup salted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp almond extract
- 3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1½ cups chopped macadamia nuts
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 13x9 inch baking pan with parchment paper and let excess extend over sides of pan.
- To make the crust, in a large bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, and melted butter. Mixture will form into a coarse crumble. Press mixture into prepared pan, using a spatula may help.
- Bake crust until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Let crust cool for about 10-15 minutes once done.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- For topping, using same bowl, but cleaned, whisk together melted butter and eggs until combined. Add condensed milk, flour, sugar, vanilla/almond extract, stirring until combined.
- Add 2 cups of sweetened flaked coconut, macadamia nuts, and white chocolate chips; stir well.
- Pour mixture over crust and sprinkle top with remaining 1 cup of sweetened flaked coconut.
- Place into oven and bake until coconut on top is slightly browned, about 30-35 minutes.
- Once baked, let cool completely.
- Using sides of parchment paper as handles, remove from pan and cut into bars of desired size.