There’s something nostalgic about eating some warm, creamy, and comforting soup- especially during these cold months. Now normally I’m not much of a soup lover, I’m actually quite picky when it comes to soup. Almost every time I visit Olive Garden; I have to get a bowl of their chicken gnocchi soup.
One thing I love about this soup is the flavor! The creaminess mixed in with the savory chicken and that soft potato gnocchi. No doubt about it that this soup is ?!
You can easily boil chicken breasts or pick up an already cooked rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store. This soup is very easy to make and it’s so good, even the kiddos will love it.
So I set out on a mission to recreate this soup in my own home- you know, just in case I’m craving it and Olive Garden isn’t open. This soup tastes identical to the famed restaurant’s version. It’s a great appetizer that you can whip up for a date night in or for a light dinner with some garlic bread and a salad.
Oh, yes- gotta sop up that bread!
This soup is:
- Subtly nutty
- Sprinkled with loads of parmesan cheese, yaaaaasssss!
Rich, creamy, and savory chicken gnocchi soup.
- 1 pound potato gnocchi
- 2 1/2 cups cooked shredded white meat chicken
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 3–4 cups fresh baby spinach with stems removed
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- Freshly grated parmesan/romano cheese for topping
- Coarse salt and fresh pepper to tasting
- In a large soup pot, heat butter and oil over medium heat
- Once butter and oil have completely melted- add carrots, onion, garlic and celery (cook for about 10 min until tender over medium-low heat)
- Continually stir carrot, onion, and celery mixture
- At this stage you can also add salt and pepper to taste
- After 10 min, add flour and stir well until flour dissolves (about 2-3 min)
- Next add chicken broth one cup at a time followed by the half and half (during this process, be sure to stir the mixture after each cup)
- Add shredded chicken and cook for 15-20 min over medium low heat (during this process, cook gnocchi in a separate pot according to package directions)
- Gnocchi directions include boiling salted water and adding gnocchi for 2-3 min until gnocchi floats to the top
- Fully drain gnocchi in a strainer and add it to soup
- Next, add spinach and basil to simmer until wilted and stir
- *Optional* add nutmeg- I believe the nutmeg enhances the flavor of the soup.
- Put soup in bowl and top with freshly grated parmesan/romano cheese and enjoy!