Skip the take-out version and make your own crispy honey chicken bowls at home; flavorful crispy chicken bites tossed in an unbelievably good honey sauce.
One of my absolute favorite cuisines in the world is Asian cuisine. The spices, the flavors, and the attention to the most intricate food details are a few of my top faves when it comes to Asian food culture.
I, admittedly, order Asian food from my local takeout joint more often than I should. I feel like each time there is something new that I haven’t tried.
Now I’m sure that the local Asian food spots are nothing compared to eating from an authentic Asian restaurant in China, Japan, or the Phillipines! My personal fave is ramen, hands down. Tampa has one of the best local spots called, Ichicoro Ramen. I usually grab the “tonkatsu” style ramen with pork broth. Oh my, it’s out of this world!
Another favorite of mine is crispy honey chicken. The chicken has so much flavor and is truly delicious to the last bite.
So this led me to create this bomb ass dish.
What I love most about this dish is how easily customizable it is. You can pair it with any veggies you like. For my bowl I happen to love some white rice and broccoli with the honey chicken.
These crispy honey chicken bowls are amazing and loaded with flavor. This dish is served on a bed of rice with a side of freshly steamed broccoli. It’s perfect for a weeknight dinner or date night-in with bae.
Remember, if you make any of my recipes- don’t forget to tag me on Instagram #butterbeready so I can see what you’ve made.
Till next time friends ✌?
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 cup white rice
- 2-3 stalks of green onion, for garnish
- Chicken & Seasoning
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless skinless cut into medium sized chunks
- 1½ tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- ⅛ tsp white pepper
- ¼ salt
- ⅛ red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ⅛ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- Honey Sauce
- ½ cup rice wine
- ½ cup honey
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 6 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- Begin by mixing batter ingredients together until combined and let sit in refrigerator.
- Clean chicken and pat dry. Coat chicken chunks in seasonings and let marinate in refrigerator for 30-45 minutes.
- Combine honey sauce ingredients and set aside.
- In a large dutch oven or pot, heat oil.
- Once oil is hot (about 350 degrees), in small batches coat chicken in batter.
- Using a slotted soon, shake off excess batter and carefully add chicken into hot oil for frying.
- Chicken pieces are done once chicken is a nice golden brown color and crisp (about 25 seconds).
- Repeat process until all chicken pieces are cooked.
- Add honey sauce into separate medium sized sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Sauce will thicken. To have a less thick sauce, add a few tablespoons of water at a time to loosen.
- Let sauce boil for 1-2 minutes.
- Cook rice and broccoli according to package directions.
- Immediately pour sauce over chicken and serve with white or brown rice and choice of vegetables.
- Optional: if you have a wok, you can also stir fry chicken with sauce and peppers.