This super rich, chocolatey, and insanely delicious homemade gingerbread hot chocolate is begging to be on the table for the holidays this year!
I’ve been going into overtime trying to bring you the goods for the holidays!
Christmas, hands down, is my favorite holiday of them all. I probably even enjoy it more than my own birthday. Okay, I lied a tad bit. But Christmas does give me all the feels. Aside from the gift-giving and receiving; I love, obviously, cooking and baking. The baking goddess within me suddenly kicks into overload and I wanna bake and make all the things. And this time of year is when a true food blogger really shines.
I asked on my Instagram what you guys love more, coffee or hot chocolate, and there was an overwhelming preference for hot chocolate. Not very surprised at all here. I’ve been a coffee fanatic for years but I recently started trying to reduce the amount of coffee I drink. In lieu of it, I’ve started enjoying hot chocolate more…and tea but more on my love of tea another time. Starbucks has this new toffee almond milk hot chocolate that I’ve been getting just about every other day. It’s that good you guys!
Buuuuuttt, what’s even better than that is this gingerbread hot chocolate! To be honest, I grew up on that powdered, boxed-version of hot chocolate . You know, the kind where all you need to do is add water/milk and top it with marshmallows. Until you make homemade hot chocolate with real chopped chocolate, you have no idea what you’re missing. It tastes more rich, creamy, and even more chocolatey. Gingerbread happens to be another favorite fall flavor of mine so what better time than now to fuse the two together.
Everything is thrown into a saucepan and then you add the chopped chocolate and whisk it until it reaches maximum gingerbread hot chocolate goodness…or until it’s combined 😜…I hope you enjoy and happy holidays!!!
- 1 carton (half gallon) of milk
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ cup dutch-process cocoa powder
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 (7oz) bars of good quality chocolate, chopped
- *Optional: whipped cream, marshmallows, sprinkles for serving
- In a large sauce pan, combine milk, spices, cocoa powder, sugar, molasses, and condensed milk.
- Cook on low for about 10-12 minutes or until combined. Careful not to let come to a boil.
- Chop chocolate and add into sauce pan, whisk chocolate until smooth.
- Immediately pour into desired glasses and top with whipped cream, marshmallows, and sprinkles of desired.