This delicious and moist crumb cake is absolutely divine with a tasty streusel topping and studded with sweet strawberries!
The other day I visited my local farmers market and saw one of my favorite booths; the strawberry booth! I live in Central Florida, home of the best strawberries I’ve ever tasted. They’re plump, delicious and so sweet. I love buying a huge flat of strawberries and making various recipes with them because buying strawberries at the farmers market always seem to be cheaper than buying them in the grocery store.
This crumb cake isn’t your average crumb cake; its supremely divine with applesauce, brown sugar, and a delicious streusel topping. The applesauce adds insurance into this crumb cake to ensure it isn’t dry. This crumb cake reminds me of an old-fashioned cake that would be at a bake sale or a recipe that your grandma would pass down to you.
I love cutting my crumb cake into big slabs and eating it straight out of hand with a nice cup of coffee. The batter of this cake has brown sugar and also brown sugar in the streusel topping. The brown sugar in the batter contributes to a darker looking crumb cake as opposed to using granulated sugar. It’s rich, sweet, and moist to the last bite.I had about 3 pieces of these at one time and I ain’t embarrassed to tell you that. They’re that good! For other breakfast ideas, check out this recipe too.
I just finished Jessica Jones on Netflix and I had another piece of this cake with ice cream while watching the finale. On a side note, if you know of any other series on Netflix/Hulu that are worthy of getting into, please let me know.
But back to my crumb cake 🙂
This crumb cake is:
- Supremely moist
This extra moist and delicious crumb cake has sweet strawberries and topped with tasty streusel crumbs.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh chopped strawberries
- For the streusel topping
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Butter or line a 9×13 inch dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In another bowl or stand mixer, mix both granulated and brown sugar, oil, applesauce, and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients into the flour mixture until smooth.
- Add chopped strawberries and stir until combined.
- Spread the batter into the baking pan evenly.
- For the streusel topping
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, butter, and brown sugar. Mix with fork or fingers until coarse crumbs are formed.
- Sprinkle crumbs evenly over top of cake.
- Bake for 50-55min or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely in the pan and then cut into squares and serve.
- Cuisine: Breakfast