Making homemade meatballs has never been easier with this easy meatballs recipe; insanely delicious, super flavorful, juicy and tender meatballs that can be eaten in a variety of ways. Perfect for all ocassions and freezer-friendly!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb mild ground italian sausage
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup seasoned panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated romano/parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup fresh italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 24-ounce jar of red pasta sauce (I personally love the brand from Raos!)
- *Optional*: garnish with shaved parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves (as pictured)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients together except for the oil and pasta sauce. Make sure all seasonings, herbs, and eggs are well combined with meat.
- Using a medium-sized ice cream scoop or tablespoon, make meatballs. During this step, I like to gather the ball of meat and sort of flatten it in my hands and then roll into ball. I find that when you simply just roll it into a ball, pockets of empty space gets in there and the meatball isn’t as tight together. Repeat this process until all meatballs are formed.
- Place meatballs into baking dish and transfer to the refrigerator to let sit for at least four hours, and for best taste, let sit overnight.
- Once meatballs have rested: In a large dutch oven or deep pan with high sides (either one with a lid), warm oil over medium-low heat on the stove. Gently brown the outsides of meatballs, about 6-8 minutes. This will have to be done in two batches depending on the size of your pot. At this stage you will see some pink still but this is ok as the meatballs will cook through in the oven.
- After all meatballs have browned, add all meatballs into pot and pour red pasta sauce in and give everything a stir. Place lid onto pot and transfer into oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- Pull pan out slightly to remove lid and give meatballs a stir again. Then push back into oven (without lid) to continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
- Allow meatballs to cool for 10-15 minutes and serve meatballs in desired fashion. Enjoy!
- Meatballs can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer. When ready to use, microwave, if frozen solid. If meatballs have been thawed, reheat as necessary.