The most creamiest, delicious, and extra flavorful all-white mac and cheese with three different kinds of white cheese! This recipe is perfect as a weeknight staple or on your holiday table. Includes both a stovetop and baked option!
- 1 lb classic elbow or small shell macaroni
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 (8 ounce) blocks extra sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) block monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to preferred taste
- *For baked option, reserve 1 cup of cheese for topping
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, bring a quart of water to a boil. Add a touch of salt to water and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta and set aside.
- In same pot, over medium-low heat, add butter to pan. Once all butter has melted, add in flour and stir around until flour dissolves and thickens with the butter. The mixture will turn light brown. Then slowly whisk in milk and turn up heat to medium-high and continue to stir until mixture comes together.
- Add in seasonings and stir to combine. Reduce heat back to medium-low and add in cheese a cup at a time, whisking between each addition. Once all cheese is melted, add in cooked pasta and stir to combine.
- For a simple stovetop option, you can enjoy mac and cheese as is.
- For the baked option, transfer mac and cheese into a lightly buttered, large deep baking dish. Top with more shredded cheese all over and bake for 30 minutes at 350°F or until top of dish is golden brown and bubbly. Let cool for at least 15 minutes and enjoy.
- For the stovetop option: if you enjoy a slightly thinner consistency, add more milk to loosen texture.
Keywords: dinner, mac and cheese