These Old Bay Chicken Skewers are so good and loaded with deliciousness. You’ll love how quick these chicken skewers come together in the air fryer, too. After cooking, the skewers are brushed with a swoon-worthy buttery sauce that clings to the juicy chicken. Pair them alongside your favorite sides for a complete meal!
For the chicken skewers:
- 1 ½ lbs chicken tenderloins (about 12 tenderloins)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
For the chicken skewer sauce/glaze:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (or sour cream)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 heaping teaspoon garlic paste (or minced garlic)
- Prep & season chicken. Pat the chicken tenderloins dry with paper towel. Then cut the tenderloins into 3-4 sections, making rough chunks. Place the chunks into a large bowl and cover with oil, Old Bay seasoning, and lemon pepper seasoning. Use your hands (fitted with disposable gloves, if desired) to massage the spices into the chicken. Then set the bowl aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes. While the chicken is resting, place 6 (8-inch) skewers into a vessel and cover with water, ensuring skewers are submerged under water- let skewers soak while chicken is marinating.
- Thread chicken onto skewers. After the chicken has rested, they’re ready to air fry. Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Then thread an even amount of chicken chunks onto each pre-soaked skewer- I usually get about 8 chunks onto each one. Place the assembled chicken skewers into the air fryer basket, lining them up nicely, careful not to overcrowd the basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you might need to work in batches.
- Air fry chicken skewers. Set the air fryer to 400°F and cook the chicken skewers for 18 minutes, flipping the skewers at the halfway mark. For precision, chicken is cooked through when it has reached 165°F when checked with an internal thermometer.
- Make skewer sauce. At the last 5 minutes of the skewers’ cooking time, let’s prepare the sauce. Add the butter into a small saucepan over low heat and stir until melted. Then remove butter from heat and immediately stir in the mayonnaise (or sour cream), lemon juice, parsley, Old Bay seasoning, and garlic- stirring the sauce well until thoroughly combined.
- Brush sauce over skewers & serve. Place the cooked chicken skewers onto a platter/plate and brush them with the sauce while everything is still warm- coating every nook and cranny! Serve these juicy chicken skewers immediately as-is or alongside your favorite sides for a complete meal (we love these with a side salad). Enjoy!
- Can I make these skewers in the oven?: If you don’t have an air fryer, yes, you can cook these in the oven. Prep, season, and thread chicken onto skewers as directed in the recipe card, above. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lay the skewers onto a foil-lined baking sheet and bake the skewers until cooked through, about 20-25 minutes. Afterwards, turn the oven to the broil function and broil skewers until slightly crisp and browned, about 1-2 minutes.
- Please read blog post in its entirety for more tips + tricks.
Keywords: chicken recipes, old bay chicken, chicken skewers, air fryer chicken, air fryer recipes, air fryer chicken skewers, chicken kebabs