The best skillet peach cobbler, ever! Flavorful peaches lightly sautéed with spices; then topped with tender and fluffy buttermilk cornmeal biscuits!
- 2 lbs fresh or frozen peaches (no need to thaw), sliced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, for slurry
- *optional: vanilla ice cream, for serving and fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large cast iron skillet (at least 10-inches or larger), add in peaches over medium-low heat. Gently toss peaches together until they begin to release their juices, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add in cubed butter all around skillet and continue cooking/stirring until butter has melted, about 2-3 minutes. Then sprinkle in brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and salt. Stir mixture together to fully incorporate and continue cooking until sugar has melted, another 2-3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add in cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water, and stir mixture together creating a slurry (thickening agent). Pour slurry mixture into skillet with peach filling and gently stir together. Then remove skillet from heat and set aside while you prepare biscuit topping.
- In a medium-sized bowl: whisk together the flour, cornmeal, and sugar. Pour in buttermilk and melted butter. Stir together until fully combined. Mixture will be somewhat thick. Take a large spoon and gently dollop spoonfuls of biscuit batter all over top of peach filling.
- Place skillet on top of a large baking sheet as cobbler may bubble over; then place into oven and bake for 30 minutes or until biscuit tops are golden brown in color and cobbler is bubbly.
- Once done, allow cobbler to cool for at least 7-10 minutes.
- Serve cobbler warm with vanilla ice cream and fresh mint leaves as garnish, if desired.
- Category: Desserts and Sweets
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American, Southern
Keywords: desserts, sweets, peach, cobbler, biscuits