These brown butter rice krispie treats are incredibly simple to make yet so insanely delicious. Rich, nutty brown butter transcends these treats into another realm. A helping hand from vanilla bean paste and malted milk powder elevates the flavor profile here, making these signature crispy treats not like ya average!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) good-quality, salted butter (I use Kerrygold)
- 2 (10 oz) bags mini marshmallows, plus more (about 1.5 – 2 cups) for mixing in near the end
- 2 tablespoons malted milk powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 10 cups crispy rice cereal
- Line a 9×13 inch baking pan with a piece of parchment paper or foil with enough overhang on the sides for easy lifting. Then set aside.
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot/dutch oven that is lightly colored on the inside, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Once the butter melts, it will get foamy and you will hear it bubbling as it cooks. Then it will take on a clear, light golden color. Note: Do not leave the pot unattended during the browning process as it can burn very quickly.
- Stir the butter every so often, scraping up any bits as you stir. Then the butter will turn deep brown and have a nutty aroma with brown bits on the bottom. Once achieved, remove from heat.
- Immediately add in the 20 ounces of mini marshmallows, malted milk powder, and vanilla. Stir the mixture together vigorously until the marshmallows melt through. The residual heat in the pot should achieve this, if not, return the pot back to the stovetop burner and heat on the lowest setting until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and fold in the crispy rice cereal. Stir everything together to fully combine, making sure that all the cereal is nicely coated. Lastly, add in an additional 1.5 – 2 cups more of mini marshmallows and quickly stir to combine with the mixture. Note: these marshmallows do not need to be melted through.
- Quickly empty the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Use a piece of parchment paper or rubber spatula to evenly press the mixture (slightly firm but not packed too tight) into the pan up to the corners.
- Allow the mixture to sit in the pan for at least 30-45 minutes. Once set, remove from the pan, and cut into squares. Enjoy!
- Please read the blog post in its entirety for more tips + tricks.
- Recipe makes 12 (3-inch) squares but cut however you’d like!
Keywords: buckeyes, buckeye rice krispie treats, buckeye desserts, holiday desserts, peanut butter rice krispie treats