Attention: This ain’t your ordinary banana bread recipe! Super moist, tender, and packed with heaps of deep brown sugar flavor can be found within this brown sugar banana bread. So quick, easy to make and finished with a deliciously dreamy topping of melted brown butter that takes this banana bread recipe to another level!
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 extra ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 heaping tablespoons crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, light or dark
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- *Optional: 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and browned
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with butter or baking spray. You can also use parchment paper, if desired.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and then set bowl aside.
- In a large bowl, add bananas and mash finely with a fork. Add in crème fraîche/sour cream, brown sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk everything together to fully combine.
- Place the flour mixture into the banana mixture and stir to combine just until all flour dissolves and all is well incorporated. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of loaf comes out clean.
- *Optional: For the browned butter: melt butter in a small light colored saucepan (so you can see the color of the butter) over medium heat while whisking frequently. The butter will begin to get foamy. Continue to stir and watch for little brown bits to form and a nutty aroma. Once it reaches this stage remove it from the heat to prevent it from burning.
- Gently pour or brush browned butter all over top of brown sugar banana bread as soon as it comes out. Let cool for at least 10-15 minutes, then slice and enjoy!
- You can halve a fresh unripe banana and place the slices flesh-side up directly on top of raw batter as pictured in my photos. You’ll have two pieces so just place them in either direction on top of the loaf before baking.
Keywords: breakfast, brunch, baking, banana bread