Elevate your next dessert game with this challah bread pudding recipe; pieces of challah bread in a flavorful custard with bourbon soaked golden raisins and drizzled with a crazy good bourbon sauce!
- 1 loaf Challah bread, sliced and cut into pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup golden raisins, soaked in 1/2 cup bourbon
- Optional: serve with ice cream
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspsoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a large 9×13-inch baking dish with spray.
- Slice and cut bread into bite-sized pieces and assemble bread in prepared baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs together. Then add in sugar, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and continue whisking to fully combine. Gently pour custard mixture over top of bread cubes.
- Add in soaked raisins on top of mixture and use a spoon or your hands to nestle in raisins.
- Bake bread pudding in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until top is golden brown in color and custard is cooked through completely.
- To make the bourbon sauce: in a medium sauce pan, combine all ingredients together and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook sauce for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Drizzle warm over bread pudding. Sauce can be stored in refrigerator for up to one week. Reheat sauce in microwave as necessary as it will harden in the refrigerator.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dessert, bread, bread pudding, bourbon