Tender, buttery, and flavorful cheddar scallion biscuits that are so easy to make. These biscuits are made with buttermilk, cheddar cheese shreds, green onions, and more! Perfect treat for any occasion!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 cup ( 2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more to brush tops
- 1 (8-ounce) bag shredded cheddar cheese, about 2 cups
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 1/2 cups whole buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, garlic powder, and a few cracks of freshly ground black pepper, about 1/4 teaspoon.
- Use a handheld grater to grate butter directly into same bowl. Then use your hands to combine butter with flour mixture by gently pinching butter into flour until pea-sized bits begin to form throughout. It’s okay if there are some larger bits in there.
- Next, add in shredded cheese and scallions. Toss together lightly until just combined.
- Lastly, make a little well in the center of bowl and pour in buttermilk. Use a spoon to bring dough together. Dough should be somewhat sticky. Bring dough together as much as you can.
- Empty dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Coat your hands in a little flour to handle dough and gently knead dough together. Fold dough onto itself about 2-3 times and then use a rolling pin to roll out dough into a rough square (about 9×9 inches). Add a touch more flour to rolling pin to prevent sticking, only if necessary.
- Use a biscuit cutter (or a glass cup) to stamp out biscuits but DO NOT twist cutter when stamping dough. Simply stamp out biscuits (punching down and out) and place onto prepared baking sheet. Make sure biscuits are touching as it helps them to rise tall when placed together. Re-roll any remaining dough scraps to make more biscuits.
- Place biscuits into freezer (alternatively, you can place them into refrigerator) for a quick 10 minutes. Bake biscuits for 10-15 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown in color.
- Brush tops with melted butter, if desired. Enjoy biscuits warm.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: appetizers, snacks, brunch, biscuits, cheese, scallions