This easy chicken and dumplings recipe is the ultimate comfort food. Tender, flavorful, and pillowy soft dumplings meet a hearty and delicious chicken filled stew with veggies and aromatics!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 4 celery hearts, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 32 ounces chicken broth or stock
- 3–4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 store-bought rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup whole buttermilk
- In a large heavy bottomed pot/dutch oven; melt butter over medium heat. Add in onions, carrots, and celery and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 5-6 minutes. Then add in garlic and let cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Season mixture with salt/pepper.
- Add in flour and stir until flour dissolves and achieves a golden brown color, about 6-7 minutes. Pour in cream and broth and stir to combine. Allow mixture to come up to a boil and add in thyme sprigs and shredded chicken. Leave soup to continue cooking and prepare dumplings.
- To make dumplings; in a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and a pinch of salt/pepper and whisk together. Add in melted butter and buttermilk and stir together with a spatula until dough begins to form. If you find that your dough is dry, add a bit more buttermilk only if needed until you see dough coming together.
- Using a spoon or preferably a scooper; drop dough directly on top of hot soup, all over until top of soup is covered. Take a spoon and gently pour some of the broth over tops of each dumpling.
- Cover your pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low so bottom of soup does not burn and let dumplings cook up for about 15-20 minutes. You can test dumplings for doneness by cutting through one and checking. If not yet done, continue cooking for a few more minutes, checking periodically.
- Serve hot soup by ladling carefully into bowls and enjoy!
Keywords: soup, stew, southern, dumplings