This dreamy, Creamy Brown Butter Tortellini, whew! It’s a 1-pot, insanely flavorful, and weeknight-friendly dish. Delicious, nutty brown butter meets heaps of aromatic sage and plenty of garlic in a super simple, luxurious sauce. Made sooo easy with store-bought tortellini, this decadent meal is one the whole crew will enjoy!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped sage leaves
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio
- 20 ounce store-bought fresh cheese tortellini
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes- optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Brown the butter. In a large, deep skillet or heavy-bottomed pot that is lightly colored on the inside (so you can see the butter transformation), melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter melts, it will get foamy, and you will hear it bubbling as it cooks. Then it will take on a clear, light golden color. Note: Do not leave the pot unattended during the browning process as it can burn very quickly. Then the butter will turn deep brown and have a nutty aroma with brown bits on the bottom, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the flavor agents. Toss the chopped shallot into the pan and sauté until the shallot becomes translucent and starts to turn golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Add in the garlic, stirring often until fragrant, about 1 minute. Then sprinkle in the fresh chopped sage leaves, cooking until the herbs are fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Bring it all together & simmer. Pour in the broth, cream, and wine. Stir everything together until fully combined. Then add in the fresh tortellini and carefully stir together to combine with the sauce. Cover the skillet with a lid to simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
- Finish sauce & season. Uncover the skillet and give everything a good stir. At this stage the sauce will be somewhat thin. Sprinkle in the grated parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes (if using), ground nutmeg, and salt/pepper- to taste, and stir together to combine. Remove the skillet from the heat- let the dish sit for 1-2 minutes. The residual heat will continue cooking the dish and the sauce will thicken.
- Serve this creamy brown butter tortellini immediately with extra grated parmesan on top, if desired. Enjoy!
- Please read the blog post in its entirety for more tips + tricks.
Keywords: tortellini, tortelloni, creamy pasta, creamy tortellini, brown butter pasta, brown butter tortellini, one pan dinner