Super moist, perfectly spiced, and beaming with flavor is this easy skillet carrot cake in a nutshell. This cake bakes up in a cast iron skillet for an even better texture and gets slathered with a tangy cream cheese frosting!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 large Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, or canola oil as alternate
- 8 ounces full-fat sour cream, or plain yogurt as alternate
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots (about 2 medium-sized carrots)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 4 ounces (block-style) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray or grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, almond flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and cardamom together. Whisk the dry ingredients together super well to thoroughly combine and then set the bowl aside.
- In another medium-sized bowl, combine the eggs, oil, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Whisk the wet ingredients together until fully combined. The mixture should have a pale yellowish color.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and use a rubber spatula to fold the batter together until just combined. Then add in the shredded carrots and fold them into the batter until just combined and incorporated.
- Empty the batter into the prepared cast iron skillet and use an offset spatula to smooth the top.
- Bake the cake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool down completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or using an electric hand mixer); beat the butter and cream cheese together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in the vanilla paste/extract and continue beating together. With the mixer on the lowest setting, add in the powdered sugar and continue beating until well incorporated.
- Add the frosting to the top of the cooled carrot cake and use an offset spatula to spread the frosting. Slice the cake into wedges and serve. Enjoy!
- Category: Baking
- Cuisine: America
Keywords: carrot cake, skillet, baking, sweets, desserts