These baked Ham and Cheese Sliders are stuffed with juicy, sliced ham and melty cheese, and then smothered in an ultra rich, savory butter sauce that’s loaded with heaps of flavor! Soft Hawaiian mini rolls, a filling center, an extra decadent glaze, and finished with chopped dill pickles…the perfect anytime appetizer or snack!
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, smooth or whole grain
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill, divided
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cajun seasoning (or seasoned salt)
For sliders assembly:
- 1 (12-count) package Hawaiian mini rolls, cut in half lengthwise
- mayonnaise & mustard, to taste
- 1/2 lb sliced swiss cheese (or provolone!)
- 1/2 lb sliced deli ham
- 1/3 cup chopped dill pickles, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and then set aside.
- Make the glaze: Melt the butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Then add in the maple syrup, dijon mustard, poppy seeds, worcestershire, garlic, 1/2 tbsp fresh chopped dill, onion powder, and cajun seasoning. Whisk the glaze well to thoroughly combine all ingredients and set aside.
- Build the sliders: Slice the rolls in half lengthwise. Add about 2 tablespoons of the glaze onto the bottom of the baking dish. Then use a pastry brush (or similar utensil) to brush the mixture evenly along the bottom. Place the bottom half of the rolls in the dish.
- Add a little drizzle of mayonnaise and mustard- to preference, and evenly brush condiments over the rolls. Then layer the rolls with ham and cheese. I like to do one layer of cheese followed by a layer of ham, and then a final layer of cheese. Place the slider top half over the ham and cheese.
- Reserve about 1 tbsp of the glaze (to save for when rolls are done!) and then pour the remaining glaze over the assembled sliders. Use a brush to evenly spread the glaze all over the top and be sure to get in the crevices, too. Cover the baking dish with a sheet of foil. Let the assembled sliders sit for 10 minutes to soak in the glaze.
- Bake: Place the baking dish in the oven and bake the sliders for 20 minutes. Then remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 5 minutes until the sliders are golden brown.
- Serve: Brush the sliders with reserved glaze and garnish with remaining 1/2 tbsp of fresh chopped dill + chopped dill pickles. Slice them up and serve ham and cheese sliders while warm. Enjoy!
- Make-ahead ham and cheese sliders: This recipe is perfect for making ahead- with a few notes. Assemble/build the sliders in the baking dish, but do not pour the butter glaze over them. We want to avoid any sogginess with the sliders. Cover the assembled sliders with foil and store in the refrigerator overnight. When ready, pour the sauce over and bake + serve as written, yay.
- Storing leftovers: I recommend brushing any chopped dill pickles off the leftover sliders. Then cover tightly with plastic wrap/foil. Leftover sliders will keep in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Simply reheat in the microwave or in the oven at 300°F until warmed through.
- Please read the blog post in its entirety for more tips + tricks.
Keywords: ham and cheese sliders, ham and cheese, dill pickles, Hawaiian rolls, Hawaiian roll sliders, game day, appetizers, sliders