This Honey-Soy Glazed Chicken ticks the box when you think of flavorful chicken recipes. The chicken is marinated in a variety of flavor-filled elements like soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, chili paste, and more. You’ll love the waste-not theme here because the marinade then transforms into a basting glaze that coats the chicken. Yes indeed, chicken that’s finger lickin’ good and full of umami flair…oh so delish!
- 6 bone-in/skin-on chicken thighs, excess skin trimmed (see notes)
- ⅓ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste (or finely minced garlic)
- 2 teaspoons red chili paste (I use Sambal Oelek)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Sesame seeds & sliced scallions, for garnish- optional
- In a large bowl or large ziplock bag, combine the chicken thighs, soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, red chili paste, onion powder, and salt/pepper- to taste. Use your hands (fitted with disposable gloves, if desired) to massage the marinade into the chicken, getting the marinade in every nook and under the skin. Then cover the bowl (or close the bag), and transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a medium rimmed baking sheet with foil, and then fit the baking sheet with a wire rack (this will ensure the underside of the chicken gets good airflow/cooking).
- Back to the chicken, using tongs or your hand, shake off excess marinade (but do not discard the marinade!) and place the chicken thighs onto the wire rack with a bit of space in between each piece. Roast the chicken for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour the reserved marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat. Once simmering, reduce the heat to the lowest setting to keep warm.
- After the first roast, brush the marinade over the chicken, flip and brush chicken again. Roast the chicken for 30 minutes more. Flip the chicken thighs back over and brush again for a final time, and bake for 5-10 minutes more or until tender and the chicken registers at least 165°F when checked with an internal thermometer for doneness.
- Garnish chicken thighs with sesame seeds and sliced scallions, if desired. Serve this honey-soy glazed chicken immediately alongside your favorite sides for a complete meal. Enjoy!
- Chicken note: I use bone-in/skin-on chicken thighs for this recipe. However, feel free to use whatever bone-in chicken parts that you desire- I recommend 6 pieces for the amount of marinade.
- Please read blog post in its entirety for more tips + tricks.
Keywords: honey soy glazed chicken, glazed chicken, honey chicken, soy chicken, glazed chicken thighs, easy chicken recipe, sticky chicken