This ONE-PAN sausage kale pasta with mascarpone sauce is an absolute stunner! Big, bold flavor from sautéed shallots, hearty Italian sausage, fresh kale, aromatics, and more. A mascarpone and white wine base creates creamy, lip-smacking richness. Finished with crispy prosciutto pieces on top for a fine, luxe vibe. It’s a super easy, weeknight-friendly dish to make that doesn’t compromise on flavor, delish.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, sliced thinly into half moons
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage, hot or mild
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste or 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems removed and roughly chopped (about 4 heaping cups)
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock or broth
- 1 lb dried fusilli corti bucati (or any short cut pasta of choice)
- 2–3 slices of prosciutto, ripped into pieces
- freshly grated parmigiano reggiano or parmesan cheese, for garnish- optional
- In a large, deep nonstick skillet or sauté pan (at least about 3 quarts deep) over medium-high heat, add the butter into the pan. Once the butter is sizzling, add in the shallots. Sauté the shallots until tender, stirring every so often, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add in the ground sausage and use a wooden utensil to break it up into pieces. Cook the sausage along with the shallots until browned completely and lightly crisp, stirring often for about 6-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic into the pan and stir into the mixture. Allow the garlic to cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Then season the sausage mixture with salt/pepper, to taste, along with the dried oregano, smoked paprika, and garam masala. Stir together to combine.
- Toss in the kale and stir together with the sausage mixture. While mixing together, allow the kale to lightly sauté for about 1-2 minutes. The kale will wilt down significantly, continue to stir often.
- Create a little well in the center of the pan and add the mascarpone. Use a wooden utensil to stir in the mascarpone until it all completely melts through. This should happen pretty quick as the pan will be hot. After it melts through, stir the sausage/kale mixture around with the mascarpone to fully combine.
- Add in the wine and use a wooden utensil to deglaze the pan by scraping up any residual bits left on the bottom, about 1-2 minutes. Then pour in the stock/broth along with the dried/uncooked pasta. Stir everything together to fully combine- making sure the pasta is submerged under the liquid. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Cover the pan with a lid and allow the pasta to cook through, about 10-15 minutes or longer until the pasta is cooked through completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the crispy prosciutto. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a small baking sheet with foil and a touch of cooking spray. Spread the prosciutto pieces onto it. Bake the prosciutto for 8-10 minutes or until crispy. Then set the crispy prosciutto aside.
- Back to the pasta pan, stir everything together to fully combine. Most of the liquid should be absorbed with nice and tender pasta. Remove the pan from heat. Ladle the pasta into bowls immediately. Garnish with crispy prosciutto pieces and freshly grated parmigiano reggiano/parmesan cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
- Please read the blog post in its entirety for more tips + tricks.
Keywords: sausage kale pasta, mascarpone cream sauce, one pan pasta, one pot pasta, sausage pasta, sausage and kale, easy pasta