This classic soul food, Southern Potato Salad is a staple to Black people and truly a recipe that screams southern comfort. Flavorful and perfectly textured with that tangy, distinct creaminess we all love. A potato salad recipe that is cookout-worthy!
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1–1 1/2” cubes
- 4 cups (32 ounces) low sodium chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup full-fat mayonnaise, preferably Duke’s
- 1/2 cup sweet salad cubes
- 2 medium stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Creole mustard (we use Zatarain’s)- see notes
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped- plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4–5 hard-boiled eggs, chopped or sliced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, plus more for garnishing
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, for serving- optional
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot or dutch oven, toss in the potatoes. Pour the chicken stock/broth over the potatoes, making sure the potatoes are fully submerged. If not, add a few splashes of water into the pot until all potatoes are covered.
- Bring the pot to a boil over high heat. Allow the potatoes to cook for 10-15 minutes or until they’re fork tender, but not mushy!
- Then drain the potatoes off into a colander. Let the potatoes cool down for at least 10 minutes before assembling the potato salad.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sweet salad cubes, celery, mustard, fresh dill, vinegar, eggs (feel free to reserve some for garnishing the top), onion + garlic powder, paprika, and celery salt, stirring everything well to fully combine. Give the potato salad sauce a taste test and adjust with salt/pepper (or more of the other listed spices), to your desired preference.
- Add the potatoes into a large bowl and pour the sauce over. Gently toss the mixture well to fully coat and bring it all together.
- While you can enjoy right away, I recommend covering the potato salad and refrigerating for at least 1 hour- for best results.
- Then garnish the potato salad with more fresh dill, smoked paprika, and a few pieces of the reserved hard-boiled eggs.
- Serve potato salad immediately with a few dashes of hot sauce, if desired. This southern potato salad is best when stored in the refrigerator and served as a cold side dish. Enjoy!
- Please read the blog post in its entirety for more tips + tricks.
- For mustard, use any mustard of your choice: stone ground or yellow mustard.
Keywords: southern potato salad, potato salad, best potato salad, southern food, black people potato salad, southern sides