Make this extra hearty steak salad for your next meal. Deliciously marinated skirt steak cooked to perfection. Then paired with tons of filling toppings like tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, avocados, and blue cheese crumbles. Finished with a dreamy maple balsamic vinaigrette!
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs skirt steak (or flank steak)
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire
- juice of 1 lime
- olive oil, for grilling/cooking steak
- 2 lbs (about 8–10 cups) romaine lettuce hearts, roughly chopped
- 1 large ripe avocado, cut in half, pitted, and sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1 cup mini cucumbers, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced radish
For the maple balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup good-quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Marinate the steak: First, you may need to cut your steak in half to handle it better. Season the steak with salt/pepper- to taste, along with the garlic powder. Then transfer the steak into a ziplock bag or container and toss in the worcestershire and lime juice. Massage everything into the steak to combine and then transfer it into the fridge to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Prep the vinaigrette: In a glass jar, combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, dijon mustard, minced garlic, dried oregano, and salt/pepper together. Cover the jar with a lid and shake vigorously to fully combine- then set the vinaigrette aside while you cook the steak.
- If using an outdoor grill– heat the grill over medium-high heat and brush with oil. Remove the steak from the marinade and place it onto the grill. Allow the steak to cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side- timing may depend on the size of your steak. I cook my steak medium but cook until your desired level of doneness. Then remove the steak from the grill and set it aside onto a cutting board to rest for at least 10 minutes. Then slice the steak against the grain and prepare to assemble the salad.
- If using an indoor cast iron pan– in a 10-inch or larger cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, warm up 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once the oil is shimmering hot, add in the steak, cooking in batches if you need to. Cook the steak for about 3-5 minutes on each side- timing may vary depending on the size of your steak. I cook my steak medium but cook until your desired level of doneness. Then remove the steak from the pan and set it aside onto a cutting board to rest for at least 10 minutes. Then slice the steak against the grain and prepare to assemble the salad.
- Assemble the salad: Using a large platter or salad bowl; combine the lettuce, avocado, red onion, cucumbers, tomatoes, blue cheese crumbles, and radish. Toss the salad together, top with the cooked steak, and drizzle the maple balsamic vinaigrette over the salad. Note: I like to use the vinaigrette sparingly so as to not drench the salad all at one time when serving. Enjoy!
- Please read the blog post in its entirety for more tips + tricks.
Keywords: steak, salad, balsamic, vinaigrette, healthy, tomatoes, avocado, blue cheese