Whew, this creamy Stovetop Mac and Cheese is super flavorful, made with 3 kinds of cheeses, and so easy to make (in ONE-POT!). A delicious, cozy pot of comforting mac and cheese to enjoy for any occasion or holiday entertaining!
- 32 ounces (4 cups) chicken broth, plus more as needed
- 1 lb dried large shells (or any dried short-cut pasta of choice)
- 12 ounces (1 can) evaporated milk, at room temperature
- 4 ounces mascarpone, at room temperature
- 8 ounces extra sharp white cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 4 ounces pepper jack cheese, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, bring the broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Then add in the dried pasta. Cook, stirring the pasta every so often, about 8-9 minutes for al dente.
- Do not drain the broth: stir in the milk, mascarpone, and both the sharp cheddar & pepper jack cheeses. Then season the pot with ground mustard, garlic powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, and ground nutmeg. Add the butter and stir everything together until well combined, the cheeses have melted, and the mixture is creamy.
- Remove the pot from heat, taste the mac and cheese, and season with salt/pepper- to taste. If you’d like a thinner consistency, simply add a few more splashes of broth (or water) to the mac and cheese to thin out until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve creamy mac and cheese immediately as-is, alongside a main entree, or place inside of a crusty bread bowl (as pictured). Enjoy!
- Evaporated milk: 12 fl ounces of evaporated milk equals 1.5 cups (if you’d like to replace with whole milk or half and half).
- Please read the blog post in tis entirety for more tips + tricks.
Keywords: stovetop Mac and cheese, Mac and cheese, creamy Mac and cheese, white Mac and cheese, one pot Mac and cheese, macaroni and cheese