Your search for the best mashed potatoes recipe stops right here. These creamy garlic mashed potatoes are so incredibly good, y’all. Extra fluffy, cheesy, garlicky, buttery, and giving everything you would want in this signature starchy goodness! It’s the perfect side dish to go along with your favorite mains and holiday faves!
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3/4 cup whole milk or milk of choice, lightly warmed- plus more if needed
- 1/3 cup sour cream or crème fraîche
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for topping
- 4 ounces Mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons Boursin® Garlic & Fine Herbs cheese- optional
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped chives, as garnish- optional
- Peel and cut the potatoes into rough quarters. Note: if you choose to leave the skin on, be sure to wash the potatoes, first.
- Add the potatoes into a large dutch oven or stock pot and then cover the potatoes in cool water. Sprinkle in a few pinches of kosher salt. Place the pot over medium-high heat and cook the potatoes for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender when pierced.
- Remove the potatoes from the heat and drain into a colander. Working in batches, add a bit of the potato chunks into a ricer and firmly press the potatoes through, adding the riced potatoes directly back into the warm pot. Repeat this process until all of the potatoes have been passed through the ricer and are back in the pot.
- Add in the milk, sour cream, butter, mascarpone, boursin (if using), and garlic paste. Stir the mixture until everything blends together and is fully combined. Then season the mashed potatoes with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. At this stage, if needed, you can add more milk in until your desired consistency is reached.
- To serve: Place the mashed potatoes into a large serving bowl with a few swashes of melted butter, a few cracks of freshly ground black pepper, and garnish with chopped chives, if desired. Enjoy!
- Please read the blog post in its entirety for more tips + tricks.
- Storing: These mashed potatoes will keep for 3-5 days when stored inside of an airtight container in the refrigerator. Be sure to check the blog post for full reheating tips!
Keywords: the best creamy mashed potatoes, mascarpone mashed potatoes, creamy garlic mashed potatoes