Deliciously creamy and flavorful vegan mac and cheese; made with a cheesy cashew cream sauce and toasty breadcrumb topping. Eat straight from the stovetop or bake until golden brown and crispy!
- 1lb short cut pasta, such as elbow or shells
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked and drained
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter spread, melted, for breadcrumb topping
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, for breadcrumb topping
- 2–3 fresh thyme sprigs, de-stemmed for breadcrumb topping
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cook pasta according to your package directions, al dente. Pasta will finish cooking once baked in the oven. Once pasta is cooked: reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water, drain, and set pasta aside in same pot.
- In a high-powdered blender/food processor; add in cashews, nutritional yeast, almond milk, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, smoked paprika, curry powder, garlic, and dijon mustard. Blend everything together until fully combined. Taste cheese sauce and adjust to preference.
- Pour cashew cheese sauce over pasta, add in reserved pasta water, and stir to combine. If you prefer, you can eat straight from the stovetop. Otherwise, empty mac and cheese into a large enough baking dish.
- To make breadcrumb topping; melt butter in the microwave and combine with panko breadcrumbs and fresh thyme. Spread mixture over top of mac and cheese and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until top is lightly golden. Enjoy!
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Stovetop, Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan, mac and cheese