Such an elite treat is this Whipped Ricotta Toast with Tomato Confit situation. Ultra creamy ricotta on top of crispy sourdough toast with caramelized, sweet roasted cherry tomatoes. The flavors are so fresh, vibrant, and absolutely delicious. Serve this one as an appetizer or yummy snack to enjoy for nearly any occasion!
For the tomato confit:
- 1 1/2 lbs cherry tomatoes
- 1 head of garlic, top cut off to expose cloves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the whipped ricotta toast:
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided- plus more as needed
- 4–6 slices sourdough bread, thick-cut
- fresh chopped basil & flaky salt, for garnish- optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, thyme, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes in a medium-sized baking dish or oven-safe skillet. Use your hands or a utensil to give everything a quick toss together and make sure the head of garlic has been saturated in the oil as well.
- Roast the tomato mixture for 40-45 minutes or until the tomatoes are tender and lightly caramelized.
- Meanwhile, make the whipped ricotta. In the body of a food processor or high-speed blender, add in the ricotta, lemon zest + lemon juice, and salt- to taste. Pulse everything to combine: while the motor is still running, slowly stream in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and continue blending until the ricotta is smooth and airy. Transfer the whipped ricotta into a small bowl (or piping bag) and store in the refrigerator to keep chilled until everything is ready.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, drizzle in the remaining olive oil. Once hot, work in batches, add 2 slices of sourdough into the pan for a couple of minutes until slightly charred and crisp on both sides- adding more olive oil into the skillet, as needed for remaining slices.
- To assemble- Totally optional, but extra delicious: I like to spread a few of the roasted garlic cloves (saved from the tomato mixture) onto the toast, first. Then spread or pipe the whipped ricotta onto sourdough slices, top with spoonfuls of cooled tomato confit, and garnish with fresh chopped basil and plenty of flaky salt, if desired. Enjoy!
- Please read the blog post in its entirety for more tips + tricks.
Keywords: whipped ricotta, ricotta, toast, ricotta toast, roasted tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, tomato toast, toast recipes, tomato confit