Such a cozy treat can be found within this perfect strawberry crumb cake, y’all. So incredibly moist with warm spices and topped with a lusciously thick and generous streusel topping!
- 1 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup packed superfine almond flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil, or canola oil
- 8 ounces full-fat sour cream, or plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
For the crumble topping
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted
- powdered sugar, for dusting- optional
- extra strawberries, for topping- optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a 10-inch springform or cake pan by generously greasing it with butter or baking spray. You can also use a piece of parchment paper for extra measure. Then set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of the all purpose flour, almond flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom together. Whisk the dry ingredients well to thoroughly combine.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs, oil, sour cream, and vanilla extract together. Whisk everything together to fully combine. Empty the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and use a rubber spatula to bring everything together until just combined. The batter will be somewhat thick.
- In a small bowl, combine the chopped strawberry pieces with the remaining 1 tablespoon of all purpose flour. Toss together until the strawberry pieces are coated well in the flour and then add it into the bowl with the cake batter. Fold them in until combined.
- Empty the batter into your prepared baking pan and use an offset spatula to smooth the top.
- To make the crumble topping: In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter together. Use a fork to stir the mixture together to combine until crumbs begin to form. I like to use my hands for this to really firmly press and bring the crumbs together. Then sprinkle the crumb topping all over the top of the cake.
- Bake the cake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Then allow the cake to cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes.
- If using a springform pan, simply unbuckle the cake, slice, and serve. If using a cake pan, cover the top of the cake with a large plate and carefully invert it onto the plate- then invert once more to bring the cake upright. Slice into wedges and serve the cake warm. Enjoy!
- Storing: I recommend keeping your cake at room temperature for one day. After that wrap the cake in plastic wrap for freshness and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Please read the blog post in its entirety for more tips + tricks.
Keywords: desserts, sweets, cake, strawberry, crumb cake, streusel