Best Ever Strawberry Crumb Cake
Such a cozy treat can be found within this perfect strawberry crumb cake, y’all. So incredibly moist with warm spices like cinnamon and cardamom; and topped with a lusciously thick and generous streusel topping! Perfect pairing to go along with a hot beverage- or enjoy as a midday snack/evening dessert.
Heyyy! I love me a good baking session- cakes, cupcakes, muffins, cookies, any kind of sweet treat. Especially when it’s the weekend because weekends are synonymous with baking. There are some really dope bakers out there that make all kinds of fancy a$$ confections and cakes that look like they cannot even be eaten, ha! Those kind of extravagant desserts are not my ministry, trust, I stay in my lane lol.
My baked goods are often chill, low key, and no fuss (like me!). However, don’t get it twisted, just because my sweets are simple doesn’t mean they aren’t any good mmkay!! Another thing I am obsessed with are crumb/streusel topped baked goods. This strawberry crumb cake has been the newest love on the block in my life. It’s just plain ole good and reminds me of the types of cake grandma would make. Let’s get into it!
Best Ever Strawberry Crumb Cake
Just, wowww. You will love this crumb cake for so many reasons, friends! First, this strawberry crumb cake is wildly easy to make, yassss. A single layer cake with no headaches involving frosting and all that other additional work. Next, this cake is super duper moist and tender which makes each bite so luscious. Lastly, there is so much flavor– warm spices, buttery crumbly topping, and fresh strawberry pieces!
What You’ll Need To Make This Cake
(Note: the full ingredients list, including measurements, is provided in the recipe card directly below.)
- all purpose flour: traditional/regular flour.
- almond flour: adds a nice texture and moisture factor.
- granulated sugar: regular white granulated sugar.
- baking soda/baking powder: leavening agents…make sure they’re fresh!
- kosher salt: to help provide a balance in flavors.
- ground cinnamon: simply delicious and a must for flavorful crumb cakes.
- ground cardamom: love a pinch of this earthy aroma so much!
- large eggs: you’ll need two eggs for some structure.
- vegetable oil: acts as the fact and aids in the moisture department.
- sour cream: another texture/moisture helper- you can sub for plain yogurt.
- vanilla extract: every single baked good needs vanilla extract ya know.
- fresh strawberries: fresh + juicy ruby red strawberries- yuhh yuhhh!
- crumble topping: flour, sugar, cinnamon, melted butter= swoon worthy crumbled goodness.
More Desserts For You To Get Into
- Lemon Sweet Rolls
- Easy Skillet Carrot Cake
- Date Night Chocolate Cake
- Strawberry Sweet Rolls
- Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- Bourbon Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Mocha Chocolate Cream Pie
- Skillet Peach Cobbler
Strawberry Season (Berry Berry Good!!!)
Strawberry season is one of my most favorite seasons of them all. We’ll often go to some of Florida’s u-pick farms where they allow you to grab your own berries or at the farmers market! The very best strawberries are usually scored around the months of April-June. I love to grab a huge flat of them and make all the things- like this challah french toast with strawberry compote, delish. Go get you some and make this recipe!
Strawberry Crumb Cake…Why You’ll Love It
This is a cake that you can enjoy on those cozy weekends (or whenever tbh) with a hot cup of your fave coffee/tea. I always say that I like a little cake with my crumble/streusel topping, ha! Seriously, this cake has the tastiest crumbly topping with a soft crunch that creates such a nice texture. You’ll definitely get those bakery-style vibes with this strawberry crumb cake for sure, y’all. You will want slice after slice!
How To Make Strawberry Crumb Cake
(Note: please see the recipe card directly below for the complete written instructions.)
- Step 1: First, you’ll bring together the dry ingredients: all purpose flour, almond flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Step 2: Combine all of the wet ingredients: eggs, oil, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine and then pour into the flour mixture. Use a rubber spatula to bring everything together until just combined.
- Step 3: In a small bowl, combine the chopped strawberry pieces with flour and toss together. Then add them into the bowl with the cake batter and fold in.
- Step 4: Empty the strawberry crumb cake batter into your cake pan and smooth the top.
- Step 5: Make the crumble topping: combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter. Mix together until crumbs begin to form and then sprinkle the crumbs over the top of the cake batter.
- Step 6: Bake the cake. Let it cool down. Slice into wedges and serve!
Got Leftovers? Storing This Strawberry Crumb Cake
Good news! This strawberry crumb cake can be made in advance about 1-2 days ahead if needed.
How to store your strawberry crumb cake: I recommend keeping your cake at room temperature for one day. After that wrap the cake in plastic wrap for freshness and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To store in the freezer, wrap the cake in plastic wrap and it will keep for one month. Then simply let it thaw in the fridge overnight and let it come back up to room temp and serve the cake as needed.
Tips For Making This Strawberry Crumb Cake
- Grease your baking pan very well. This will ensure that your cake comes out clean with no breaking/crumbling. Greasing your pan and also lining it with a piece of parchment paper helps, too.
- Coat your strawberries in flour before adding them into the batter. The reason for this is to ensure that the strawberry pieces don’t sink straight to the bottom of your cake. Additionally, it also helps to make sure that they blend easier without coloring the batter.
- To make this strawberry crumb cake gluten free: use gluten free flour or oat flour (gluten free) in place of all purpose flour. Any other types of flour have not been tested so experiment at your own risk.
- Swap the berries. Although this is a strawberry crumb cake, you could easily replace the strawberries for blueberries if you’d like an alternative option. I find other berries like raspberries and blackberries to be on the larger side and not work as well (unless you chop them finely) but feel free to experiment.
- To make this strawberry crumb cake into muffins: fill the batter into cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way full, top with crumble topping, and bake at 350°F for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Now you’ve got bite-sized cakes!
- Garnishing: We love dusting the top with powdered sugar for extra yumminess. Another fave way to enjoy this strawberry crumb cake is to top it with a little cool whip or whipped coconut cream, truly magical. And then a finishing of some whole/sliced strawberries for more pizzazz- all garnishes are totally optional, you do you.
REMEMBER TO LEAVE A ⭐️STAR RATING⭐️AND TAG ME ON THE ‘GRAM IF YOU MAKE ANY OF MY RECIPES! I ALWAYS LOVE TO SEE IT WHEN YOU DO!
UNTIL NEXT TIME…LOVE AND BUTTER,
Such a cozy treat can be found within this perfect strawberry crumb cake, y’all. So incredibly moist with warm spices and topped with a lusciously thick and generous streusel topping!
- 1 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup packed superfine almond flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil, or canola oil
- 8 ounces full-fat sour cream, or plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
For the crumble topping
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted
- powdered sugar, for dusting- optional
- extra strawberries, for topping- optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a 10-inch springform or cake pan by generously greasing it with butter or baking spray. You can also use a piece of parchment paper for extra measure. Then set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of the all purpose flour, almond flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom together. Whisk the dry ingredients well to thoroughly combine.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs, oil, sour cream, and vanilla extract together. Whisk everything together to fully combine. Empty the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and use a rubber spatula to bring everything together until just combined. The batter will be somewhat thick.
- In a small bowl, combine the chopped strawberry pieces with the remaining 1 tablespoon of all purpose flour. Toss together until the strawberry pieces are coated well in the flour and then add it into the bowl with the cake batter. Fold them in until combined.
- Empty the batter into your prepared baking pan and use an offset spatula to smooth the top.
- To make the crumble topping: In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter together. Use a fork to stir the mixture together to combine until crumbs begin to form. I like to use my hands for this to really firmly press and bring the crumbs together. Then sprinkle the crumb topping all over the top of the cake.
- Bake the cake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Then allow the cake to cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes.
- If using a springform pan, simply unbuckle the cake, slice, and serve. If using a cake pan, cover the top of the cake with a large plate and carefully invert it onto the plate- then invert once more to bring the cake upright. Slice into wedges and serve the cake warm. Enjoy!
- Storing: I recommend keeping your cake at room temperature for one day. After that wrap the cake in plastic wrap for freshness and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Please read the blog post in its entirety for more tips + tricks.
Keywords: desserts, sweets, cake, strawberry, crumb cake, streusel