These Hibachi Steak Bowls are loaded with tender, flavorful pieces of sirloin, sautéed vegetables, and fried rice. If you love Benihana and Kobé Japanese steakhouses, you’ll enjoy these bowls inspired by those restaurants! This recipe is wildly easy and perfect for a delicious weeknight-friendly dinner or meal prepping!
- 2 lbs top sirloin steak, cut into rough chunks
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 6 cloves of garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sesame oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper (or black pepper)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3 medium carrots, thinly cut on a bias
- 2 medium zucchinis, sliced in half lengthwise & then cut into half moons
- 4–5 ounces sliced mushrooms (I use baby bella)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1–2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce or Japanese BBQ Sauce (we love Bachan’s!)
- For serving: Fried rice & store-bought Yum Yum Sauce
- Prep & marinate steak. Place the sirloin into a large bowl (or inside a large plastic baggie). Add the mirin, garlic, ginger, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, white pepper (or black pepper), and salt-to taste. Toss all ingredients to fully combine, ensuring steak chunks are thoroughly coated. Then set the steak aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Sauté veggies. In a wok or large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of sesame oil over medium heat. When hot, add the carrots, zucchini, and mushrooms. Cook the veggies, tossing often, until tender and golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. Season the veggies with garlic powder and salt/pepper- to taste. Then transfer the sautéed veggies to a clean plate and set aside. If needed, carefully wipe the pan clean with a damp paper towel.
- Cook steak. In the same pan, add remaining 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon sesame oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the steak. Cook, tossing beef often, until nicely seared, about 3-4 minutes- careful not to overcook steak into toughness. Then remove from heat, and drizzle in the teriyaki sauce or Japanese BBQ sauce, toss well to coat steak in sauce until chunks are glistening.
- Build the bowls & serve. Evenly divide the cooked steak and sautéed veggies into shallow bowls, along with fried rice. Finish off bowls with a drizzle of store-bought Yum Yum sauce (or feel free to serve it on the side) to complete these hibachi steak bowls. Enjoy!
- Store-bought Yum Yum Sauce is typically found in the international section of your local grocery store (near the Asian goods). Stores like Publix, Target, Walmart, and Kroger usually keep it in stock. It’s also available online- I love Terry Ho’s brand!
- Fried rice note: To keep the quick + easy theme rolling for this recipe, I like to use store-bought fried rice that just needs to be heated. It’s available in the freezer section of grocery stores- I love the InnovAsian brand! Otherwise, feel free to make your own or use your preferred choice of rice here.
- Please read blog post in its entirety for more tips + tricks.
Keywords: hibachi steak, steak bowls, hibachi style steak, sautéed vegetables, Japanese steak, Benihana, kobe steakhouse, steak dinner