Whip up dinner in under 30 minutes with this super easy one-pot casarecce pasta; bursting with spicy Italian sausage, fire roasted tomatoes, plenty of fresh basil, and all the parmigiano-reggiano cheese that you can handle!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage, spicy or mild
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb Casarecce pasta
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmigiano-regggiano cheese, plus more for topping
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large dutch oven or large pot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Then add in onions and cook until onions become translucent in color. Add in garlic and continue stirring everything together until garlic is fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add ground sausage to pot and using a wooden spoon, break up sausage into crumbles, and cook until all sausage has browned. Next, add in broth and stir. Then add in uncooked pasta and stir pot again.
- Let pasta cook through completely, about 15 minutes or until all pasta is cooked through. Once pasta is cooked, you can taste and add salt/pepper, if needed to preference.
- Lastly, add in tomatoes and fresh basil and stir everything to combine. Toss in grated cheese and serve in bowls, and top with more cheese if desired. Enjoy!
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
- Feel free to use ground beef or ground turkey as an alternative choice of protein.
Keywords: dinner, pasta