Super decadent, extra cheesy, and creamy with bold lip-smacking flavor; this smoked gouda mac and cheese is incredibly delicious!
Now, I normally would beat around the bush and get to talking about other things before I talk about my recipes. You know, the usual. Things like what’s going on in the world, what I did recently, or some other filler-type language for a blog post. But not today, okay. You see, we need to delve right into this here goodness. I simply cannot waste anytime bantering around with you on this one.
I am a true sucker for some mac and cheese. And not just any old mac and cheese, either. I’ve played around with a few recipes over the years, like this one here. There’s something comforting about a warm serving of indulgent mac and cheese. I like mine to be creamy, flavorful, and hella cheesy- the way mac and cheese should be if you ask me. And I’m over the moon to finally share this one with you. Ya girl is also gonna go out on a limb by thinking that you will make this recipe today and tell everyone you know about it too! Nah, but really though, ha!
I’m sure we’ve all had some form of traditional mac and cheese, right? But smoked gouda mac and cheese is another kind of level. A very good one at that too. Gouda is a Dutch cheese and considered to be, by far, one of the most popular cheeses around. This type of cheese is smoked in a brick oven and contains more milk fat which gives it that creamy buttery texture. In case you missed it, this is everything we want in mac and cheese!
I make this recipe more times than I’d care to admit. It’s on the richer side of things due to all the cheese and heavy cream, but then again, it is smoked gouda mac and cheese after all. My favorite way to top this dish is with some crispy bacon or pancetta too…holy yum. I like how this recipe tastes like restaurant quality but made in the comfort of your own home. Maybe in your pj’s on a cozy rainy day? Idk. Just giving you ideas here. Anywho, I think this mac and cheese will be a total win on your table. I hope you love it as much as I do, friends!
- 1 lb package medium-size pasta shells (or pasta of choice)
- 8 oz smoked gouda cheese, grated
- 8 oz extra sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups heavy cream
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- *Optional: grated mozzarella cheese and bacon/pancetta for topping; jalapeños for a touch of heat
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Cook the pasta according to package directions (al dente) and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Then add in flour. Be sure to whisk thoroughly until smooth. Add in heavy cream and continue whisking to fully incorporate. You should see the sauce begin to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add in the smoked paprika, ground white pepper, and nutmeg. Add the grated cheeses as well and whisk until all cheese is melted.
- Add the cooked pasta into the cheese mixture and stir to fully combine. Make sure all pasta is coated.
- Transfer mac and cheese into an ovenproof baking dish or individual ramekins. Add more grated cheese to top, if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until top of mac and cheese is slightly golden and bubbling throughout.
- Let cool a bit and then top with crispy bacon pieces, if desired. Enjoy!