S’mores Cupcakes with Nutella
No campfire needed when you have s’mores cupcakes with nutella on deck! These cozy cupcakes are the ultimate treat; rich & moist nutella-filled chocolate cake sits on top of a buttery graham cracker crust with a toasty marshmallow frosting!
Cupcakes are a bit nostalgic for me because they were the first baked goods I played around with way before this blog came to be. I remember that I would make all sorts of cupcakes for friends, family, and events. Then folks started asking me to whip up my goods for their catering needs and I couldn’t believe it lol. I love me some cupcakes; they’re small, individual servings of cake with endless options on flavors. So glad to revisit a cozy favorite of mine.
DISCLOSURE: This post is sponsored by Nutella® (yum!). Beyond excited to have partnered with them on this s’mores cupcakes recipe! I cannot even begin to tell you how much I love me some of their product, y’all. In case you don’t know, Nutella® hazelnut spread is a delicious combination of roasted hazelnuts and yummy cocoa. It adds an irresistible joy to a variety of foods!
You can enjoy this signature hazelnut spread on toast, pancakes, crepes, waffles, and much more. However, today we’re enjoying Nutella® right in the center of a moist chocolate cake that makes up a part of this s’mores-inspired dessert.
S’mores Cupcakes with Nutella
There are three components to these s’mores cupcakes: the graham cracker bottom, the Nutella®-filled chocolate cake, and the marshmallow frosting. Don’t let these cupcakes intimidate you in the slightest because they come together so easily. All of the classic, signature s’mores elements that we know and love are in these cupcakes and they make for the most fun treat, ever!
What You’ll Need For This Recipe
(Note: the full ingredients list, including measurements, is provided in the recipe card directly below.)
- Graham cracker bottom: graham cracker crumbs, salt, and butter.
- Chocolate cupcake: flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, oil, an egg, buttermilk, black coffee, vanilla extract, and nutella.
- Marshmallow frosting: egg whites, sugar, salt, and vanilla bean paste.
⇢ RECIPE RUNDOWN: Just like a traditional s’mores situation, these s’mores cupcakes are every bit reminiscent of the classic treat. Luscious and moist chocolate cake with a Nutella hazelnut spread filling in the center, a buttery graham cracker bottom, and marshmallow frosting to make complete. With each bite you get a taste of all three decadent textures, gahh.
How To Make S’mores Cupcakes with Nutella
(Note: please see the recipe card directly below for the complete written instructions.)
- Preheat & prep. Preheat the oven and prep a 12 cup muffin pan with liners.
- Make the graham cracker bottom. Combine the crumbs, salt, and melted butter together. Stir until the mixture forms into a sand-like texture.
- Fill and bake. Evenly divide the graham cracker mixture into the wells of the cupcake liners and bake for a few minutes until set- then cool.
- Make the chocolate cake batter. Combine all of the chocolate cake ingredients together, minus the nutella. Mix the batter together until well combined and fully incorporated. Then evenly distribute the batter into each of the liners right on top of the graham cracker crust.
- Bake and cool. Bake the cupcakes and then let them cool down.
- Cut out the center & fill. Use a utensil to cut out the center of each cupcake. Then use a piping bag to fill the centers with a bit of nutella.
- Make the frosting. Bring together the ingredients over a double boiler and stir to combine. Then beat the mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Frost and serve. Use an offset spatula or piping bag to frost the cupcakes. You can serve as is or use a kitchen torch to toast the frosting. Enjoy!
Why You’ll Love This Dessert Recipe
I mean, what’s not to love here?! These s’mores cupcakes with nutella are the best for so many reasons. They’re rich, decadent, moist, and have a nice depth of flavors and textures going on. If you’re looking to make a dessert for a fun/festive occasion (birthdays, date nights, hanging with your peeps, etc); these cupcakes will steal the show. In addition to that, it’s a really fun sweet treat to make (and devour!) at home with your little ones and such.
Tips + Tricks For Recipe Success, Alternative Ingredients/Substitutions, Recipe Notes & More
⇢ Here are some extra tidbits on these S’mores Cupcakes with Nutella®!
- Bake the crust: Don’t skip this part! This is what actually sets the graham cracker bottom in place. Otherwise, you will end up with basically graham cracker dust/crumbs on the bottom and not a nicely set bottom to bite into.
- Gluten-free needs: You can absolutely replace all-purpose flour with any of your favorite gluten-free all purpose flour as a 1:1 ratio swap.
- Coffee, say what?!: Yes indeed, black coffee helps to enhance the chocolate notes in, well, chocolate recipes. It creates extra richness/moistness, and more depth in flavor- no, the cupcakes will not taste like coffee at all.
- Sift, sift, sift: For the smoothest batter that’s free from lumps, take an extra moment to sift your flour and cocoa powder. There is nothing more sad than a lumpy batter and random, raw flour bits in your cupcakes.
- Filling 101: I *highly recommend* filling the cupcakes using a piping bag or a ziplock bag. It can be really challenging to get the nutella inside the center of the cupcakes in a neat, mess-free way otherwise.
- Marshmallow frosting: Homemade marshmallow frosting can be intimidating upon first look but is really easy to whip up. Once made, you can enjoy it as is or use a kitchen torch to lightly toast it for the ultimate s’mores effect.
Make Ahead S’mores Cupcakes
If you wanna get ahead of the game on these s’mores cupcakes with nutella, you definitely can! I suggest making the cupcakes themselves up to 1 day in advance and storing them at room temperature. Additionally, for the marshmallow/meringue, you can prep this a good 6-7 hours in advance of serving and store at room temperature. Otherwise, refrigerate for no longer than 1 day ahead. >> BBR tip: make it while the cupcakes are baking!
Note: because meringue has a tendency to weep when refrigerated for too long, I recommend making on the day-of or night before serving. Also, these s’mores cupcakes are best enjoyed at room temperature and right away for optimal taste/texture. As such, I do not recommend refrigerating nor freezing leftovers.
These S’mores Cupcakes with Nutella are such a dream, y’all. If you love desserts and chocolatey tings, then you’ve gotta try this recipe out. And of course, report back and let me know what you think…until next time! 🤟🏾Print
No campfire needed when you have s’mores cupcakes with nutella on deck! These cozy cupcakes are the ultimate treat; rich & moist nutella-filled chocolate cake sits atop a buttery graham cracker crust with a toasty marshmallow frosting! Yummo!
For the graham cracker bottom:
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the chocolate cupcakes:
- 1 cup all purpose flour, sifted if lumpy
- 3/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup dutch-processed cocoa powder, sifted if lumpy
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, or canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole buttermilk, or plain kefir
- 1/2 cup strong black coffee, warmed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Nutella® hazelnut spread, for the filling
For the marshmallow frosting:
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, a pinch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners and then set aside while you prep the graham cracker mixture.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, salt, and melted butter together. Stir to combine until the mixture takes on the texture of wet sand. Evenly divide the graham cracker mixture into the wells of each cupcake liner, about a tablespoon and a half. Then gently press the mixture tightly into the bottom of the liner.
- Bake the graham cracker crust for 10 minutes. Then set it aside to cool down while you make the chocolate cupcake batter.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Whisk the dry ingredients well to thoroughly combine. Then add in the oil, egg, buttermilk, black coffee, and vanilla extract. Whisk the mixture together until the batter is fully incorporated. The batter should be somewhat runny.
- Evenly divide the batter into the cupcake liners directly on top of the graham cracker crust, leaving a little room at the top.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Then allow the cupcakes to cool down for 10-15 minutes before you fill with the Nutella® and frost.
- Use a knife or the bottom of a pastry tip to cut out some of the center of each cupcake. You can save the excess cupcake bits or discard. Then place the Nutella® into a pastry bag or ziplock bag. Fill each cupcake center with the Nutella® hazelnut spread, just until you reach the top. Then set aside while you prepare the frosting.
For the marshmallow frosting:
- Fill a small saucepan with a few inches of water and bring to a simmer. Using a small, heatproof bowl, place the egg whites, sugar, and salt into the bowl. Place the bowl over the saucepan, creating a double boiler- make sure the water in the saucepan is not touching the bottom of the bowl.
- Continuously whisk the mixture together until the sugar dissolves and the mixture goes from thick to thin, about 5-6 minutes. As you continue to stir, look for the mixture to get somewhat frothy and warm. Carefully, test the mixture by dipping a finger in, you should feel no sugar granules when rubbing between your fingers.
- Turn off the heat and remove the small bowl from the top. Stir in the vanilla bean paste/vanilla extract, whisk to fully combine.
- Beat the mixture: Add the meringue into the bowl of a stand mixture or use a handheld mixer; beat the meringue on high speed until fluffy with stiff peaks, about 5-7 minutes. Lift the beater and look for the meringue to stand tall without weeping.
- Use an offset spatula to spread or a pastry bag to pipe the marshmallow frosting onto the cupcakes. Serve as is or use a kitchen torch to lightly toast the meringue, as pictured. Enjoy!
- Please read the blog post in its entirety for more tips + tricks.
- Frosting: Note- this recipe is enough for a light touch of frosting on each of the 12 cupcakes. If you’d like a more generous amount of frosting, simply double the ingredients for the frosting recipe.
Keywords: nutella cupcakes, s’mores cupcakes, nutella s’mores, s’mores desserts, chocolate cupcakes, marshmallow frosting