No-Churn Sweet Potato Pie Ice Cream
Listen, whoever told you that you can’t combine sweet potato and ice cream together told you a lie! Meet this crazy good no-churn sweet potato pie ice cream; deliciously decadent, rich, creamy and filled with sweet potato flavor with cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, pecans, and more. Comes together so quickly and with no ice cream machine required!
So I’m gonna come right out and be all the way real with you.
I have a million and one appliances in my kitchen. Seriously, everything from a stand mixer, food processor, waffle maker, crockpot, blender…to an instant pot. Yeah, I’m one of those people that just need all the kitchen gadgets. However, the one appliance I don’t have and probably will never get is an ice cream maker. Nah. I just don’t see myself really going out and justifying the purchase. Mainly because I just don’t make enough homemade ice cream.
But when I do, it’s almost always a no-churn ice cream recipe. Real talk, my blueberry cheesecake ice cream is one of my personal favorites to make every now and then. And I’m so glad to be adding this sweet potato ice cream to the list!
So, What’s In This Sweet Potato Pie Ice Cream Recipe?
What I love about this ice cream is that it has all of the classic elements of a traditional sweet potato pie. That is, without any of the headache that comes with pie making. Or maybe it’s just my own blood pressure and stress levels that raise when making pies? Anywho, back to this sweet potato ice cream. It has fresh mashed sweet potato, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, brown sugar, and bourbon. Feel free to leave the booze out entirely if that’s not your thing!
What Makes Up The Creamy Base?
The non-custard base is super simple and whips up in a flash; heavy whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, and full-fat greek yogurt make an ultra creamy ice cream consistency. It’s sweet without being overly sweet, it’s lusciously creamy, and it’s light. Also, vanilla bean paste is added to this mixture. And if you’re new here, you should know that I almost always favor vanilla bean paste over vanilla extract any day! It carries more signature rich vanilla flavor and those little vanilla bean flecks are a dream!
On the plus side, consuming this ice cream has it’s perks you know. For example, sweet potatoes have a high nutritional value. They are high in an antioxidant known as beta-carotene and they also provide a rich source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Look, eating this sweet potato ice cream has never been better for your health, ha!
How To Cook Sweet Potatoes:
This recipe calls for enough sweet potato flesh to yield 3/4 of a cup. You can either boil or roast your sweet potato. Whichever method works best for you, although, I do prefer to roast my sweet potato in the oven. For the boiled sweet potato method; simply peel skin off and cut into pieces to boil on the stovetop. Which is just like boiling potatoes for mashed potatoes. Alternatively, if roasting; pierce sweet potato with a fork a few times all over, then lightly oil the outside and roast for 45 minutes to an hour at 425°F. Once done peel skin and collect flesh.
Because of its non-custard base, this ice cream gets super hard, so be sure to leave it out for a little bit before scooping into it too! This sweet potato ice cream is truly one of my faves! It has so much flavor, it’s incredibly easy, and it’s pretty much the perfect frozen treat for this time of year. Seriously, add a scoop to your pies, crisps, and more!
REMEMBER TO LEAVE A ⭐️STAR RATING⭐️AND TAG ME ON THE ‘GRAM IF YOU MAKE ANY OF MY RECIPES! I ALWAYS LOVE TO SEE IT WHEN YOU DO!
Until next time…love and butter,
Meet this crazy good no-churn sweet potato pie ice cream; deliciously decadent, rich, creamy and filled with sweet potato flavor with cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, pecans, and more. Comes together so quickly and with no ice cream machine required!
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 (14-ounce) canned sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup full-fat greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup mashed sweet potato
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- *Optional: 1 tablespoon Bourbon
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or using a handheld electric mixer, whisk heavy cream and vanilla bean paste together until stiff peaks form, about 6-8 minutes. Heavy cream should be thick and whipped.
- In a separate large bowl, add condensed milk, greek yogurt, and mashed sweet potato. Whisk ingredients together until all lumps disappear. Then add in cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt, pecans, brown sugar, and bourbon. Mixing until everything is combined.
- Gently fold in heavy whipped cream into bowl with mashed sweet potato mixture. Fold mixture together just until everything is combined.
- Pour mixture into a 9×5-inch loaf pan and smooth top with an offset spatula. Cover with plastic wrap and place into freezer overnight, 8-10 hours.
- Let ice cream sit out for a few minutes before serving to soften some. Scoop, serve, and enjoy!
Keywords: dessert, ice cream, sweet potato