Best Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
The best lemon poppy seed bread that you’ll ever have is right here. This lemon loaf is so easy to make, extra moist, and loaded with lemony flavor. Bakery-style reminiscent and topped with a luscious lemon glaze!
Listen, I’m never not in the mood for quick breads, loaf cakes, and anything lemon-inspired. I’m in my Springtime bag to the fullest extent and loving all the seasonal things. One of my favorite classics is lemon poppy seed bread and I can’t believe it took me this long to get a recipe up on the site. Whenever I’m at a bakery or coffee shop, a nice lemon poppy seed slice is the best thing to accompany my coffee or tea.
This lemon poppy seed bread has been in development for a good little bit. I’ve tweaked this, added that, and eventually landed on what is the best lemon poppy seed loaf. And you can argue with me on that if you want to, ha! However, if you’re a lover of quick breads and loafs, this lemony situation is right up your alley. Everyone that has had the chance to try my recipe has loved it and now I’m happy to share with you!
The Best Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
So, instead of bread, you might call it a loaf and that’s okay too- terms can be interchangeable. No matter what you call it…don’t call it mediocre, mmkay! Here’s why we’re loving everything about this bread:
EASY PEASY: This is a no fuss recipe, y’all. Combine the dry ingredients together, then combine the wet, and bake! Badda bing, badda boom. Next, make the glaze and pour over your bread and eat!
MOIST AND TENDER: This is imperative because there is nothing more offensive than a dry ass baked good. This bread is ultra moist thanks to certain ingredients like sour cream, oil, and almond flour making it so supremely tender and luscious. Even the leftovers still hold up so beautifully without drying out.
SO FLAVORFUL: This sounds dramatic but this lemon poppy seed loaf is almost like biting into a gorgeous sunny day haha. Seriously speaking, this bread has lemon, almond, and maple flavor- so bright and tasty!
What You’ll Need For This Recipe
(Note: the full ingredients list, including measurements, is provided in the recipe card directly below.)
- all purpose flour: basic traditional and most commonly used flour.
- almond flour: creates such a nice texture and helps in the moisture department!
- baking soda + baking powder: leavening agents to give this bread some rise.
- kosher salt: to balance out all of the lovely flavors going on.
- poppy seeds: welp, we’re making lemon poppy seed bread, nuff said.
- large eggs: just two of ’em to give our bread some structure.
- almond extract: ugh, imo almond extract is unmatched, so good!
- sour cream: ensures more moisture and creates an amazing texture.
- vegetable oil: the “fat” in this baked good and helps with moisture too.
- lemon zest: fresh lemon zest contains the highest essential oils.
- lemon juice: we want big + bold lemony flavor throughout!
- pure maple syrup: acts as the sweetener and makes the overall taste so bomb.
- for the glaze: you’ll need powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, almond extract.
How To Make Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
(Note: please see the recipe card directly below for the complete written instructions.)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a loaf pan then set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients together and whisk well.
- In another bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold together until just combined.
- Empty the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake.
- Allow the bread to cool down on a wire rack before glazing.
- Prepare the glaze and pour over the cooled lemon poppy seed bread.
- Let the glaze set on the bread for a few minutes before slicing.
- Carefully slice the bread with a sharp knife and serve. Enjoy!
This one may lead to an obsession lol. A nice little cozy treat to have in the mornings (or whenever) with a cup of hot tea or coffee. It’s so easy to whip up and also very light and refreshing on the palate.
Tips + Tricks For The Perfect Bread
- Prepare your loaf pan: You could either spray it liberally with baking spray or line it with parchment paper. This will ensure a nice easy release from the pan without any breaking or crumbling going on.
- Make sure your ingredients are fresh: This goes for the baking soda + baking powder, especially.
- Pack the almond flour: While the all purpose flour does not need to be packed, the almond flour does because of its texture. Packing flour just simply means to scoop your almond flour into the measuring cup and then firmly press it down. This way the almond flour is firm, tight, and not loose.
- Don’t over mix the batter: Once you combine the ingredients together, simply mix the batter until just combined. Over mixing can create additional air within the batter and make your bread extra dense.
Healthier Swaps And/Or Substitutions
>>> Replace the sour cream for plain or vanilla greek yogurt.
>>> Substitute the vegetable oil for coconut oil.
>>> Swap the maple syrup for honey.
>>> You can also use chia seeds in place of poppy seeds too!
Make This Lemon Poppy Seed Bread Gluten Free
Are you gluten intolerant? No worries at all- I recommend using gluten free all purpose flour (with xanthan gum) or gluten free oat flour to replace the all purpose flour within this recipe. >>> Note: if using either one of these flours, use 1 1/2 cups of it instead of just 1 cup. I have not tested any other flours.
Other Incredible Recipes To Try
- Lemon Sweet Rolls
- The Perfect Classic Meatloaf
- Lemon Butter Scallops with Spring Risotto
- Classic Braised Short Ribs
- Easy Skillet Lasagna
- Ultimate Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
- Salmon Cakes with Quick Aioli
- Lemon Garlic Butter Roast Chicken
Luscious Lemon Glaze Topping
Oooh I am a true sucker for lemon glaze, y’all!!! As if this lemon bread wasn’t enough on its own, the lemon glaze just sends me. It’s so easy bring together with powdered sugar, lemon juice, almond extract (optional) and some lemon zest (also optional but totally magical!). This lemon glaze goes on nice and drippy and then hardens onto the bread as it sets creating a sweet finale, swoon! I love this cozy lemony bb so much.
How To Store This Bread
Make sure the lemon poppy seed bread is completely at room temperature first. Then wrap the bread very well in either foil or plastic wrap. This bread can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days for maximum freshness. If you’d like to store this bread in the freezer that is also an option! It will last for up to 2 months- simply thaw out before consuming. Also, feel free to cut this bread into individual slices and then refrigerate/freeze that way too.
Lemon (No Poppy Seed) Bread?
Wanna make this lemon poppy seed bread but don’t exactly have or care for poppy seeds? No biggie, simply just leave them out to make a glazed lemon loaf kinda vibe. Still equally delicious!
That’s all, peeps. This lemon bread is one of my faves, forever and ever. I hope y’all enjoy it just the same since I’ve teased it plenty via my social media haha. Cannot wait to see all the recreations! Xo.
REMEMBER TO LEAVE A ⭐️STAR RATING⭐️AND TAG ME ON THE ‘GRAM IF YOU MAKE ANY OF MY RECIPES! I ALWAYS LOVE TO SEE IT WHEN YOU DO!
UNTIL NEXT TIME…LOVE AND BUTTER,
Best Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Desserts & Sweets
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
The best lemon poppy seed bread that you’ll ever have is right here. This lemon loaf is so easy to make, extra moist, and loaded with lemony flavor. Bakery style reminiscent and topped with a luscious lemon glaze!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed superfine blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 8 ounces full-fat sour cream, or plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, or honey
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from same zested lemon)
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted if lumpy
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan very well and then set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the all purpose flour, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds together. Whisk the dry ingredients well to combine and set aside.
- In another bowl, crack open the eggs and whisk together. Then add in the almond extract, sour cream, maple syrup, oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Whisk the wet ingredients super well to thoroughly combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and use a rubber spatula to fold everything together until just combined.
- Empty the batter into the prepared loaf pan and use an offset spatula to smooth the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Remove from heat and allow the bread to cool down for 10-15 minutes before taking it out of the pan. After cooling, carefully remove the bread from the pan and set the bread onto a wire rack to continue cooling down before drizzling on glaze.
- Drizzle the lemon glaze on top of the bread and let set, about 3-5 minutes. Then use a sharp knife to cut the lemon poppy seed bread into slices and serve. Enjoy!
- In a bowl, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice together. Mix together until smooth and then add in the extract and lemon zest, if using. Continue mixing until combined. For a thinner consistency, add in a little more lemon juice to thin out, if desired.
- Please read the blog post in its entirety for more tips + tricks.
- Feel free to use 1-2 tablespoons of poppy seeds if you prefer more.
Keywords: baking, lemon, desserts, sweets, loaf, cake