Such a wildly delicious stunner is this ONE PAN chicken with caper cream sauce meal. Sautéed chicken breasts swimming in a rich + flavorful creamy caper-filled sauce. This dish is similar to traditional chicken piccata but a bit more elevated and even better! Makes the most perfect dinner for weeknights and beyond!
I feel like Florida has skipped Spring and went straight for the Summertime vibes because baybayyyyy, this heat tho!?! You would think we’d get a little light breeze to cool our heads but Florida said nah, y’all good lol. I guess it’s okay since I’m low key ready for my hot girl summer anyways, ha! Listen, ya girl is fully vaxxed and anticipating some traveling happening in 2021. Nothing invigorates my spirit more than a getaway.
And I’m also so excited to start developing some summer-inspired eats and treats for you! I’ve got a little spreadsheet going with some ideas and testing lined up. However, all things Spring-y still ring true and I’ve got this new one for you. I made this chicken with caper cream sauce in my IG stories not too long ago and got so many messages about it. It’s simply delicious and definitely one that I know you’ll enjoy!
Chicken With Caper Cream Sauce
Well, hey there you easy ONE PAN lip-smackingly delicious chicken dish, how you doing!
We’re loving this chicken with caper cream sauce meal for a number of reasons, peeps. It’s sooo easy to make– everything whips up in one good ole skillet! Anddd it also comes together in under 30 minutes! The flavor combinations are incredible– it’s giving you salty, sweet, herbaceous, and citrus kinda vibes.
Ingredients You’ll Need For This Recipe
(Note: the full ingredients list, including measurements, is provided in the recipe card directly below.)
- chicken breasts: two large chicken breasts that are sliced in half lengthwise.
- seasonings: kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.
- butter: the fat that’s used to sauté the chicken in- sooo much flavor!
- shallot: this allium belongs to the onion family but has a more milder/sweeter taste.
- garlic cloves: 3 of ’em and freshly minced (jarred garlic has drastically reduced flavor).
- dry white wine: adds some acidity- such as sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio.
- lemon: just one- freshly zested and then juiced…lemon and chicken is a match-made combo!
- heavy cream: makes this sauce to creamy + delectable…options like milk or half-and-half are not recommended as they may cause your sauce to curdle and break.
- non-pareil capers: love these salty briny flower buds so much, so good!
- fresh dill: this herb adds some freshness but feel free to omit if you’d like.
Other Crazy-Good Meals To Make
- Easy Philly Cheesesteaks
- One-Pot Creamy Beef Pasta
- Harissa Chicken with Olives and Orzo
- Lemon Butter Scallops with Spring Risotto
- Jamaican Stewed Oxtails
- Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
- Salmon Cakes with Quick Aioli
- Easy Skillet Lasagna
Chicken Piccata-Ish, But Creamy + More Flavorful
This chicken with caper cream sauce is super similar to traditional chicken piccata but so much better in my opinion. The chicken is not dredged in flour but rather just pan-fried directly in the butter. There’s more flavor coming from elements like the shallot, lemon juice/zest, white wine, fresh dill. As you can see, super similar but also not the same. If you like chicken piccata, you’ll love this chicken with caper cream sauce!
How To Make Chicken With Caper Cream Sauce
(Note: please see the recipe card directly below for the complete + full instructions.)
- Season the chicken breasts and let sit for a few minutes.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over heat.
- Place the chicken into the skillet and pan fry on both sides, then set aside.
- Add in the chopped shallot and sauté until translucent.
- Then add in the garlic and continue cooking.
- Deglaze the pan by adding in the wine, scraping up any bits with a wooden utensil.
- Add in the lemon zest and lemon juice and continue cooking together.
- Pour in the cream and whisk together until the sauce blends nicely.
- Add the capers and chicken into the same skillet.
- Garnish chicken with caper cream sauce with dill, serve, and enjoy!
What To Serve With This Meal
Ooooeeee, we love serving this chicken with caper cream sauce right on top of a pile of fluffy mashed potatoes– truly a magical pairing! However, you could also pair this meal with pasta; over spaghetti or maybe egg noodles as options. For a lighter option, serve alongside your favorite vegetables or with a salad!
Can I Use Other Chicken Parts?
Yes! Chicken thighs (boneless/skinless or bone-in/skin on) would also work beautifully here- the cooking time will increase a lot more for chicken parts with the bone-in so be mindful of that if using.
Storing This Chicken With Caper Cream Sauce
This is a perfect leftover meal to have on deck, y’all! To store, simply place the chicken with sauce inside of an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The sauce will thicken some and set when refrigerated. I like to reheat the chicken with caper cream sauce by placing it back into a skillet; reheating it on the stovetop with a few splashes of chicken broth to help loosen the sauce. Alternatively, you could also use water to thin out the sauce and reheat this dish in the microwave too!
REMEMBER TO LEAVE A ⭐️STAR RATING⭐️AND TAG ME ON THE ‘GRAM IF YOU MAKE ANY OF MY RECIPES! I ALWAYS LOVE TO SEE IT WHEN YOU DO!
UNTIL NEXT TIME…LOVE AND BUTTER,
Such a stunner is this chicken with caper cream sauce meal. Sautéed chicken breasts swimming in a rich + flavorful creamy sauce. Makes the most perfect dinner for weeknights and beyond!
- 2 large boneless/skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- garlic powder
- smoked paprika
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons non-pareil capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- Cut the two chicken breasts in half lengthwise to make a total of four chicken cutlets. Season the chicken on both sides generously (or to your preference) with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Then set the chicken aside to sit for at least 20 minutes.
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. On the butter is sizzling, add in the seasoned chicken. Depending on the size of your chicken, you may need to cook in batches- being careful to not overcrowd the pan. Let the chicken pan fry and cook through, about 4-5 minutes per side. Then transfer the cooked chicken to a cleaned plate and cover with foil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add in the chopped shallot. Use a wooden utensil to stir together and sauté until the shallot becomes translucent, about 1-2 minutes. Then add in the garlic and continue cooking together until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Deglaze the skillet by adding in the wine. Use your wooden utensil to stir and scrape up any bits left on the bottom of the skillet. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and add in the lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir the mixture and continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in the cream and whisk together to fully incorporate. Allow the sauce to come up to a light boil, about 2-3 minutes. Add in the capers and stir together with the sauce. Then add the cooked chicken back into the skillet and spoon the sauce over the chicken.
- Remove the skillet from heat and garnish with fresh dill. Serve the dish immediately over mashed potatoes, egg noodles/pasta, and/or alongside your favorite side items and enjoy!
- Please read the blog post in its entirety for more tips + tricks.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken, capers, easy, skillet, creamy, one pan