Easy Philly Cheesesteak Recipe (+Video!)
Thinly sliced ribeye steak with gooey and melty provolone cheese in every bite; also filled to the brim with caramelized onions, peppers, and mushrooms all on a toasted hoagie roll. This popular fast food sandwich can be made anytime at home with this easy philly cheesesteak recipe! Sooo dang delicious!
You ever play that game where you ask someone what their death row meal or food would be? A tad bit morbid, I know, but stick with me. It’s your *top favorite* that you would choose to eat as your “last meal.”
Not that you asked me but one of my top indulgent eats that I’d like to have should all things come to an end is a philly cheesesteak. Let’s rewind that back a bit…a thicc, juicy, cheesy, and hot philly cheesesteak sandwich! Y’all, one of these sandwiches is just about the closest things to pure happiness, if you ask me.
What Is A Philly Cheesesteak?
A philly cheesesteak is a very popular sandwich comprised of super thinly sliced steak + gooey provolone cheese; and both are enveloped by a hoagie roll. This is an authentic philly cheesesteak. This famous sandwich gets its name from it being of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania roots and created by Pat and Harry Olivieri. As a matter of fact; in South Philly, you’ll find Pat’s King of Steaks and Geno’s as two huge philly cheesesteak rivals. Both of these joints are notably fun tourist spots to get your grub on and be the judge for yourself.
Years after the philly cheesesteak made its debut, the addition of green bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms came to be. Philadelphia natives will gladly let you know that the addition of these elements is *not* an authentic philly cheesesteak too, ha! However, these few additions have become so widely popular and many restaurants include those options. To be honest, I love both of the cheesesteak variations.
Homemade Philly Cheesesteak Ingredients
(Note: the full ingredients list, including measurements, is provided in the recipe card directly below.)
- Ribeye Steak: This is the best kind of steak for this sandwich. It’s extra tender when cooked too. You’ll want to slice it super thinly (more on that below) if you can’t find pre-sliced ribeye steak.
- Butter: Used to sauté the mushrooms, peppers/onions.
- Seasonings: All you need is salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Bell Pepper: One green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips.
- Onion: One large onion, sliced into half-moons.
- Mushrooms: You’ll need baby bella mushrooms aka portobello mushrooms.
- Cheese: Grab some provolone cheese slices…this cheese is the best for this recipe!
- Hoagie Rolls: They’re the absolute best for cheesesteaks.
*p.s,…if you’re not a fan of mushrooms and/or peppers, simply leave ’em out. You do you!
How To Cut Ribeye Steak
Depending on your grocery stores, some of them have pre-sliced ribeye steaks. I know that I recently found Trader Joe’s carrying some! Additionally, you can also ask your local butcher to slice it for you as well. However, if all else fails, getting razor thin slices of your ribeye steak is easy. For best results, place your steak in the freezer for at least an hour. This will firm up the steak and allow you to slice it better as opposed to it being in the refrigerator. Of course, it will also help you tremendously to use a super sharp knife!
Other Recipes You May Also Like:
- Smoked Gouda Mac ‘N Cheese
- Pan Seared Salmon With Orzo + Asparagus
- Easy Sausage and Peppers
- One-Pot Casarecce Pasta
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- Creamy Spinach Artichoke Chicken
- Creamy Vegan Jerk Pasta
How To Make Homemade Philly Cheesesteaks (Video)
While this recipe may seem complex to make at home, it could not be any easier, peeps 🖤
- To begin, melt butter in a large skillet.
- Sauté mushrooms until golden brown, then set aside.
- Sauté onions until lightly caramelized, then add in green bell peppers.
- Transfer onions + peppers to a plate and set aside.
- Add in steak and let brown. Season steak with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Add veggies back into pan with steak.
- Section off servings and place cheese slices over each serving.
- Place onto lightly toasted hoagie roll and enjoy!
Added Tips For The Best Cheesesteaks
Once you have the cheese slices over the steak mixture in the pan, there’s more to do for the best results! Lightly toast the hoagie rolls, add a nice smear of mayo (if you like), and lay down another slice of provolone cheese on the roll. Fill up the rolls and wrap them in foil completely. This process allows all of the cheese, veggies, and steak bits to meld together and get all melty + juicy! OMG Y’ALL 😩👅
Other Ways To Serve This Cheesesteak
If you’re not feeling the use of hoagie rolls, you can:
- Add them into bell peppers and make a stuffed pepper situation!
- Top cheesesteak mixture onto pizza or flatbread!
- Enjoy over pasta!
- Use as a filling in egg rolls!
REMEMBER TO LEAVE A ⭐️STAR RATING⭐️AND TAG ME ON THE ‘GRAM IF YOU MAKE ANY OF MY RECIPES! I ALWAYS LOVE TO SEE IT WHEN YOU DO!
UNTIL NEXT TIME…LOVE AND BUTTER,
Easy Philly Cheesesteak Recipe (+Video!)
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Total Time: 40m
- Yield: 3-4 1x
- Category: Entrée
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: American
This Philly Cheesesteak recipe is so easy: thinly sliced ribeye steak with gooey provolone cheese, onions, peppers, and mushrooms all on a hoagie roll.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups baby bella mushrooms
- 1 large onion, sliced into half-moons
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 lb ribeye steak, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6–8 slices provolone cheese
- hoagie rolls, for serving
- optional: mayonnaise
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Once butter is sizzling, sauté mushrooms until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Then transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add onions into same skillet and sauté until slightly caramelized, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add peppers into skillet with onions and cook until peppers get soft, about 3-4 minutes. Then set onions/peppers aside with mushrooms.
- Add steak into pan and cook until all meat is browned, about 5-6 minutes. Season steak with spices and add all veggies back into skillet. Stir to fully combine.
- Using a spatula, section off each serving in your pan and place cheese slices directly over each serving. Take off heat and allow residual heat to melt cheese onto steak mixture.
- Lightly toast hoagie rolls and smear with a bit of mayo, if desired. Add more cheese to prepared rolls and fill each roll with cheesesteak mixture. Roll each sandwich in foil and allow to sit for at least 5 minutes, then enjoy!
Keywords: cheesesteak, sandwich, beef, cheese, peppers, mushrooms
19 Comments on “Easy Philly Cheesesteak Recipe (+Video!)”
My boys will go nuts for this recipe! Looks phenomenal. Thanks Quin!
Hi Kym! Yessss, these cheesesteaks are insanely good 🙂
This was delicious. Thank you!
Love how simple and tasty this is! Making it for the 2nd time this month
I fixed this tonight for me and my husband. I was a great sandwich. I used a red bell pepper as hubby doesn’t like green ones. Otherwise, it turned out great. By the way, I did use the mayo on the toasted bread. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I know I’ll make it again.
Fan freakin’ tasting!!!
This is one of my go-to recipes, partially because one of my kids is vegetarian. I double the veggies and cook the steak in a separate pan. She gets her own delicious Philly goodness and the rest of us get cheesesteak! I lived in Philly for several years so I know there’s a lot of debate about authenticity. Who cares. This is just good.
Looks Amazing; will be making this tonight!! Thank you for sharing
Hi Quin! I love Philly cheesesteaks! Can’t wait to try this recipe. Beautiful photography and video as well! Thanks for sharing!
Delicious and super easy. Exceeded expectations
I made it just like you said!!! It was delicious!!!
When the Steak is almost ready, I add in some Beef Au jus , and cook it slowly so the liquid will soak in to the meat !! Adding in that More Beefy accent, followed by the Veg and onions ! I like to add provolone sliced across top is sandwich, then place under Broiler, quickly to melt and crisp up top of Roll ! Wow !
Hi there- love the added personal touch that you did, so glad you enjoyed! 🙂
I made this recipe twice…. MY FAMILY LOVES ❤ IT!!@
Great recipe & simple! All that butter in the beginning with the mushrooms really went a long way!
Absolutely the best recipe for steak sandwich
I also add a about 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce. Taste great
These are awesome! Made them last week and again today. I reduced the salt a little, but other than that, stayed true to your great recipe! Thank you for sharing.