Roasted Sweet Potato Soup (So Cozy!)
Deliciously creamy and full of flavor is this roasted sweet potato soup; sautéed veggies, fragrant aromatics, and more make this cozy + comforting soup. Served with grilled cheese croutons and diced crispy pancetta!
Y’all, I’m over here channeling all the cozy, comforting, and Fall-inspired goodness that this season brings; is basic Black girl a thing? Ha. If you’ve been following along for a while, you know just how much this time of year feeds my soul. Making hot chocolate for my peeps and I have been a weekly occurrence. Also, can you guys believe that I bought one of those large pumpkins to carve- yes, I plan to carve a pumpkin! Okay so, my hands are highly gifted but I’ve never been talented with the arts, ha! So, send ya girl all the good vibes.
And hello hi there, it’s soup season!!! YASSS. That means everything from my chicken gnocchi soup to my butternut squash soup has been on absolute repeat. I’ve been cooking and developing some new ones including this sweet potato soup that I am beyond excited to chat with you about!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Crate and Barrel who I’m so excited to partner with; and all thoughts and opinions expressed here are my own. I am so grateful for brand partnerships like this! In case you missed it, check out my skillet peach cobbler recipe in collaboration with them too, sooo good!
I whipped up this sweet potato soup with some of the goodies that you, too, can find in Crate and Barrel. No worries, I will be including some links below with the products that helped me bring this soup to life!
The Best Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Have you ever had sweet potato soup before? Much to my dismay, a lot of folks have never enjoyed such soup before. Most people know of the classics like pumpkin soup, chicken and dumplings, or maybe even wild rice soup. But lemme tell ya, let’s change that because this sweet potato soup is so incredibly flavorful, extra creamy, and easy to make. Lovely aromatics like onion, celery, carrot, and garlic. A few of my favorite spices such as smoked paprika, Jamaican allspice, and ginger powder help give this soup some depth.
Additionally, let’s not stop there. The sweet potatoes get roasted right before adding them into the pot which yields such a more caramelized flavor within the sweet potatoes! This extra step really takes this sweet potato soup up several yummy notches, y’all. Hold up, if you thought we’re stopping there, just you take a seat. We’re extra around these parts so I’m finishing this soup off with grilled cheese croutons and crispy pancetta on top! I mean, when I said cozy and comforting, here we are. In all seriousness, these toppings give some ultra heartiness to this roasted sweet potato soup. It’s also the aesthetics too, ha!
Ingredients To Make This Sweet Potato Soup
(Note: the full ingredients list, including measurements, is provided in the recipe card directly below.)
- sweet potatoes, garnet yams preferred
- garlic cloves
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- smoked paprika
- ground Jamaican allspice
- ginger root powder
- chicken stock
- coconut milk
- diced pancetta
- grilled cheese sandwiches
How To Make This Cozy Soup Recipe
- Peel, cut, and quarter sweet potatoes.
- Roast sweet potatoes until golden brown and crispy.
- On the stovetop, cook pancetta and then set aside.
- Sauté onion until translucent- then add in chopped celery and carrot.
- Add in garlic and continue cooking mixture.
- Season mixture with spices.
- Add roasted sweet potatoes into pot.
- Pour in stock and coconut milk and let simmer.
- Use a hand blender to blend everything together.
- Serve warm and top with grilled cheese croutons and pancetta.
Make Ahead Tips + Tricks
While roasting the sweet potatoes in the oven, in a large stock pot or dutch oven, cook the diced pancetta. Cooking the pancetta releases the fat and renders off a lovely aroma and oil to sauté the aromatics in. Again, another huge flavor component here. If you choose to skip the pancetta, you will need about 2 tablespoons of butter to sauté the veggies. You can also make the grilled cheese sandwiches ahead of time but I like to whip these up while the soup is at the simmering stage >> giving super meltiness, drool!
Crate and Barrel Exclusive Products
- KitchenAid® Cordless Hand Blender: Wow, hands down one of my favorite kitchen gadgets! This is the first hand blender that I’ve owned that is cordless. Trust, it’s so convenient and it’s also nice to be able to use anywhere I want in the kitchen and allows me to even blend things together table-side too!
- Farmhouse Soup and Sandwich, 2-Piece Set: Love the sleek look and feel of this hand-thrown soup and sandwich set. The bowl is so adorable with its handles and both items are extra sturdy and solid. This is the perfect combo set to serve up those cozy favorites with an extra aesthetically-pleasing presentation. You can grab the 2-piece set or the Farmhouse Soup Bowls by themselves.
- Caesna Mirror Soup Ladle: Probably one of the best (and fancier!) serving ladles I’ve ever owned; this classically styled piece has a well-balanced pattern and comfortable heft with a bright mirror finish.
- Le Creuset Fig Signature 5.5-Quart Dutch Oven: Listen, if you need a high-quality piece of cookware that lasts for a long time, this dutch oven is it. It’s one of my most used cookware pieces that I use daily (and how gorgeous is this color, dreamy!). Make everything from soups, stews, and more within this vessel!
How To Store This Sweet Potato Soup
One thing I love about making soup is how easy and convenient it is to store and have on hand. I typically keep deli containers at home to store leftovers in and either keep some in the refrigerator or freeze them. However, storing them in any airtight container will be fine, just make sure the vessel can go in the freezer too. Mark the container with the date you made it and this sweet potato soup recipe can be kept in the freezer for up to three months. This make ahead freezer meal comes in clutch for when the craving strikes!
Other Delicious Recipes To Make
- Spiced Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits
- Southern Collard Greens
- Classic Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
- Brown Stew Chicken
- Cajun Salmon With Parmesan Risotto
- Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms
- Easy Skillet Lasagna
This year has been particularly heavy and filled with so many personal, professional, societal, and cultural challenges to say the least. And also everything in between and way more huh, I know. Even so, I hope you all find some things to truly be grateful for because it makes all the difference. In addition, with the holidays rolling in, it’s also my wish that you can find some semblance of joy in the kitchen with the recipes that I share. Cannot wait to see all the remakes of this roasted sweet potato soup, I just know you’ll enjoy!
REMEMBER TO LEAVE A ⭐️STAR RATING⭐️AND TAG ME ON THE ‘GRAM IF YOU MAKE ANY OF MY RECIPES! I ALWAYS LOVE TO SEE IT WHEN YOU DO!
UNTIL NEXT TIME…LOVE AND BUTTER,
Delicious and full of flavor is this roasted sweet potato soup; sautéed veggies, fragrant aromatics, and more make this cozy + comforting soup. Served with grilled cheese croutons and diced crispy pancetta!
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes (about 4 medium-large sized), garnet yams preferred
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 (4-ounce) package uncured diced pancetta
- 1 small white onion (about 1 cup), chopped
- 4 celery hearts (about 1 cup), chopped
- 2 medium carrots (about 1 cup), chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Jamaican allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14-ounce) canned full-fat coconut milk
- grilled cheese sandwiches, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil and drizzle with a touch of olive oil.
- Peel, cut, and quarter sweet potatoes into chunks. Place them onto prepared baking sheet and gently toss together to coat in oil. Roast for 40-45 minutes or until lightly brown and crisp.
- Meanwhile, at halfway mark of roasting sweet potatoes, on the stovetop heat butter over medium heat in a large stock pot/dutch oven. Once melted, add in pancetta and stir together until fully cooked, about 5 minutes. Then take pancetta out and set aside in small bowl with paper towel.
- In the same pot, add in the onion and sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Then add in chopped celery and carrot, stir together, and cook for another 3 minutes. Add in garlic and continue cooking mixture until garlic is fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper, paprika, allspice, and ginger seasonings, mixing well to combine.
- Add in roasted sweet potatoes, stock, and coconut milk. Stir everything together until fully combined. Cover pot with lid and let mixture simmer together for 15 minutes. At this stage, prepare grilled cheese sandwiches and then set aside. If desired, cut crusts off sandwiches and neatly cut grilled cheese into mini squares for croutons.
- Remove soup from heat, uncover pot, and use a hand blender to fully blend everything together until desired consistency is reached. Taste soup and adjust seasonings to preference.
- Serve soup warm with grilled cheese sandwiches/top with croutons and diced pancetta. Enjoy!
- Soup will keep in airtight containers in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- If you opt to skip using pancetta, use 2 tablespoons of butter to sauté veggies with.
- To make this recipe vegan: skip pancetta, use vegan butter/cheese, and vegetable broth.
Keywords: sweet potato, soup, roasted, appetizers, pancetta