Homemade Sausage and Fennel Pizza
Pizza nights have never looked better than with this homemade sausage and fennel pizza; juicy crumbled sausage, sautéed fennel, and with alfredo sauce. So easy yet incredibly flavorful restaurant-worthy pizza!
We’re diving straight into this delicious pizza my friends! Homemade pizza nights at home are one of my most favorites to do. Although, I’m always looking for new ways to spice things up and forego the traditional cheese and pepperoni situation, ha! In comes this sausage and fennel pizza to do just that. It’s so amazing!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Colavita who I’m so excited to partner with; and all thoughts and opinions expressed here are my own. As always, I am so grateful for brand partnerships like this!
I’m using their Premium Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil as the base of this sausage and fennel pizza. High-quality olive oil is clutch when making pizza; and their Italian sourced and full bodied olive oil is just that.
Ingredients To Make Sausage and Fennel Pizza
(Note: the full written recipe, including measurements, is provided in the recipe card directly below.)
- fresh pizza dough
- Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- unsalted butter
- ground Italian sausage
- garlic cloves
- alfredo sauce
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- dried oregano
This pizza comes together easily and in under 45 minutes too! For starters, we’re using store-bought fresh pizza dough and alfredo sauce which makes things move along super quickly. However, you could make your own alfredo sauce and/or pizza dough from scratch if you’d like to. You do, you!
What Is Fennel?
Fennel is a very popular vegetable in Italy. Its color is creamy off-white with a bulbous base that has multiple long green hairy fronds coming from it. Additionally, fennel is a member of the carrot family but not considered a root vegetable. It has an aroma that resembles anise and black licorice when raw. Once you sauté it, like what we’re doing with this pizza; it caramelizes and gets super tender with a sweeter taste.
Sausage and fennel together pair so wonderfully; the savoriness of the meat compliments the sweetness from the sautéed fennel, chefs kiss. I prefer using hot ground Italian sausage for a touch of heat but you can use regular mild sausage. Also, good alternatives to sausage include ground beef and ground turkey!
More Great Recipes To Try
- Loaded Olive Cheese Bread
- Easy Sausage and Peppers
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- One-Pot Casarecce Pasta
- Easy Skillet Lasagna
- Classic Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
- Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms
How To Make Sausage and Fennel Pizza
- Roll out fresh pizza dough and drizzle with olive oil.
- Brown sausage and sauté fennel.
- Spread alfredo sauce over pizza dough.
- Top with sausage and fennel mixture.
- Sprinkle with dried oregano.
- Bake pizza until golden brown.
This pizza recipe couldn’t be any more foolproof to make y’all. And while it’s so simple, this sausage and fennel pizza is so freakin’ delicious. I am personally a huge fan of white sauce based pizzas rather than red sauce ones; primarily because acid reflux wins every single damn time haha. I find that alfredo sauce compliments the sausage and fennel and has a more creamy luxurious taste on the palate.
Additional Toppings That Work
- pepperoni slices
- green/black olives
- shredded chicken
- chopped spinach
- chopped bacon
- parmesan cheese
- red pepper flakes
- grape/cherry tomatoes
REMEMBER TO LEAVE A ⭐️STAR RATING⭐️AND TAG ME ON THE ‘GRAM IF YOU MAKE ANY OF MY RECIPES! I ALWAYS LOVE TO SEE IT WHEN YOU DO!
UNTIL NEXT TIME…LOVE AND BUTTER,
Pizza nights have never looked better than with this homemade sausage and fennel pizza; juicy sausage, sautéed fennel, and with alfredo sauce. So easy to make this restaurant-worthy pizza!
- 16 ounces store-bought fresh pizza dough
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 ounces ground Italian sausage
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small fennel bulb, cut and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup store-bought alfredo sauce
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Use 1/2 tablespoon of olive to grease a large pizza sheet pan or baking steel, set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pizza dough. Place dough onto prepared pan and carefully stretch dough out onto pan.
- Brush remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil on top of pizza dough, then set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Then add in garlic and chopped fennel, stir and sauté mixture together until fennel turns translucent, about 3 minutes. Season mixture with salt/pepper, then remove from heat.
- To assemble pizza: Use a spoon to evenly spread alfredo sauce all over top of prepared pizza dough. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly onto pizza. Then spoon sausage/fennel mixture on top. Lastly, sprinkle dried oregano all over pizza.
- Bake pizza in the oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and pizza is golden brown.
- Allow pizza to cool for 5 minutes and then use a pizza cutter to slice and serve. Enjoy!
Keywords: pizza, sausage, fennel, alfredo