Creamy Rigatoni With Sausage and Kale
This quick + easy creamy rigatoni with sausage and kale is wildly delicious. Rigatoni pasta paired with ground sausage and wonderfully sautéed kale meets spices, ample garlic flavor, and mozzarella cheese!
It’s no joke just how much I love myself a good easy peasy pasta recipe. And that especially goes for these crazy times we are living in with quarantine, ha! Since we’re having to stay home that means the stove and oven is on wayyyyy more than ever before. Ugh. Some days I want to cook everything and more and then other days I refuse to be in the kitchen. Thus, in comes easy weeknight recipes like this one!
Y’all, I am so excited to get into this newest recipe with you!
This post is sponsored by Winn-Dixie Supermarket; thank you for supporting the great brands that keep Butter Be Ready running! I am a big fan of Winn-Dixie and, as always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
I’ve partnered with Winn-Dixie on their $20 Meals in 20 Minutes summer campaign. That’s right, they challenged me to develop a recipe in under 20 minutes with only $20 worth of ingredients. To be honest, I was nervous at first but we made it happen, ha! Check out my key ingredients from Winn-Dixie below.
First, this rigatoni with sausage and kale is an absolute gem, y’all. Yes, indeed…I’m talking about it being nice and creamy, packed with huge flavor, and so easy to make. I love the garlicky flavor throughout this pasta dish too! Additionally, kale greens adds some nice texture and feel-good nutritional vibes.
Rigatoni With Sausage and Kale Ingredients
(Note: the full ingredients list, including measurements, is provided in the recipe card directly below.)
- rigatoni pasta: feel free to use alternate kind of short-cut pasta, too!
- ground sausage: you can surely substitute for ground turkey/beef here as well.
- butter: used to sauté the ground sausage/kale.
- oil: just a ‘lil, used with butter to sauté sausage/kale.
- garlic cloves: garlic adds so much taste to this pasta recipe, yum!
- kale: you can buy whole leaves (de-stemmed) or buy them pre-chopped in bag-form.
- chicken broth: helps to add some extra flavor and sauciness.
- heavy whipping cream: in conjunction with the broth, lends an extra creaminess factor.
- mozzarella cheese: because what is pasta without dat cheese, ha!
- spices: salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes for a touch of heat.
How To Make This Pasta Dish
So, making this creamy rigatoni with sausage and kale, couldn’t be easier!
- First, make pasta according to package directions, al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, on a separate burner, heat butter/oil and cook sausage until browned.
- Add in garlic and kale, and continue cooking.
- Season mixture with spices and continue for a few minutes.
- Drain pasta and add into sausage mixture, stirring well.
- Add in broth, cream, and cheese. Stir well to combine.
Optional Alternative For This Recipe
To elevate this rigatoni with sausage and kale dish, I’ve included an extra step for ultimate deliciousness. This easy step transforms regular stovetop pasta into a baked pasta situation with crispy cheese and edges.
- Before starting this recipe, begin by pre-heating the oven to 375°F. Reserve about a handful of cheese. When pasta is done, empty pasta into a large baking dish (such as a 9×13-inch vessel). Sprinkle top of pasta with reserved handful of cheese (or more, if desired). Then bake dish for 6-7 minutes.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- One-Pot Creamy Beef Pasta
- Creamy Spinach Artichoke Chicken
- Easy Sausage and Peppers
- Salmon Cakes with Quick Aioli
- One-Pot Casarecce Pasta
- Creamy Lemon Garlic Chicken with Capers
- Easy Skillet Lasagna
What To Pair With This Rigatoni Pasta?
- garlic bread
- buttermilk biscuits
- side salad
- chicken gnocchi soup
- cheddar scallion biscuits
- …and more!
I hope you all enjoy this recipe and thank you to Winn-Dixie for sponsoring this post 🖤
REMEMBER TO LEAVE A ⭐️STAR RATING⭐️AND TAG ME ON THE ‘GRAM IF YOU MAKE ANY OF MY RECIPES! I ALWAYS LOVE TO SEE IT WHEN YOU DO!
UNTIL NEXT TIME…LOVE AND BUTTER,
Creamy Rigatoni With Sausage and Kale
- Cook Time: 20m
- Total Time: 20m
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Entrée, Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
This easy rigatoni with sausage and kale is wildly delicious. Rigatoni pasta paired with ground sausage and wonderfully sautéed kale meets spices, ample garlic flavor, and mozzarella cheese!
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 generous handfuls of roughly chopped kale
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (8-ounce) bag shredded mozzarella cheese, about 2 cups
- In a large stockpot, cook pasta according to package directions, al dente.
- On a separate burner, in a large pot/dutch oven, heat butter/olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add in sausage and cook until browned, breaking up meat with wooden spatula; about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and kale. Continue cooking until kale wilts down a bit, about 2-3 min.
- Season mixture with salt/black pepper, to taste, and crush red pepper flakes.
- Drain pasta and add into sausage mixture pot. Pour in broth and cream, and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle in cheese and continue stirring until cheese has melted. Serve warm and enjoy!
- For baked version: preheat oven to 375°F. Reserve a handful of cheese, about 1/2 cup. Empty pasta into a large baking dish and sprinkle top of pasta with reserved cheese. Bake in the oven for 6-7 minutes until lightly golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving.
Keywords: dinner, pasta, sausage, kale
9 Comments on “Creamy Rigatoni With Sausage and Kale”
This was excellent. Quick and easy. I have teenage boys who both loved it. They normally hate kale so I chopped it pretty fine and they ate every single bit of this pasta! Thank you for the recipe.
Hi there…I’m so happy you and your boys enjoyed this recipe! 🙂
I saw this on your insta and have been waiting patiently for the recipe! Can’t wait to make it!
Tasty, easy dish that I get to eat a few more times since there are only two of us…and I’m definitely not complaining! I used spicy italian turkey sausage which gave it an extra zip 🙂
This recipe was so so so so good! I bought double the ingredients again and am going to try freezing them for a rainy quarantine day.
I tried many MEH recipes over the past two weeks and I’m happy to finally find a keeper! Very quick, easy, and tasty. I will be adding this to my regular meal prep rotation.
Yum! This was a great, easy recipe that even my kale hating husband ate. We ate it for leftovers, and it was just as good reheated.
About to have our first baby and would love to try this for a freezer meal! Any special instructions except maybe freeze before the baking step??
Hi there- yes, you could freeze this pasta. I recommended letting it sit out for a little bit before reheating after being frozen 🙂