Jerk Chicken Wings With Guava Sauce
Huge Island flavors are hitting with these baked jerk chicken wings; a touch of Caribbean-flavored heat with a delicious sweet and sticky guava glaze with heaps of flavor! So easy to make and perfect for all occasions!
I gotta say how much I love me some Caribbean spices, y’all. Jerk seasoning is one of my most favorites of them all. Being West Indian, myself, I’ve grown accustom to big, bold, and sweet + spicy delicious flavors from the Islands for so long. And chicken wings? Let’s just say that I am obsessed!
Chicken wings are one of my true weaknesses. I simply love ’em and when they’re paired with jerk seasoning AND guava flavor?! I mean, just stahhhpppp it!!! This newest recipe is crazy good so let’s get into it.
What Is Jerk Seasoning/Flavor?
First, Jerk flavor is a Caribbean type of seasoning; with ingredients like garlic powder, salt, onion powder, ground allspice, brown sugar, parsley, thyme, scotch bonnet pepper, cinnamon, and red pepper to name a few. You can typically find jerk in a variety of ways such as a dry seasoning, marinades, and in paste-form. It’s beautiful complexity in flavors makes it so tasty and it also has some kick (heat) to it as well.
Jerk Chicken Wings Ingredients
(Note: the full ingredients list, including measurements, is provided in the recipe card directly below.)
- chicken wings: aka party wings, flats and/or drums, you decide!
- jerk seasoning: good quality jerk (make sure its label reads Jamaican Jerk for authenticity), you can typically find this in Caribbean markets or your local grocery store.
- guava jam or jelly: either one will work for the delicious sauce!
- soy sauce: low-sodium, adds some nice umami flavor in the sauce.
- white vinegar: adds some acidity to the guava sauce.
- garlic: you can use garlic paste or garlic cloves or jarred minced garlic.
How To Make These Jerk Chicken Wings
Okay, these chicken wings couldn’t be any easier. To begin, simply place chicken wings into a large bowl and seasoning with jerk spice. Make sure all wings are fully coated. Next, take some plastic wrap and cover bowl. Transfer bowl into refrigerator to allow wings to marinate for at least two hours or overnight.
* The longer you let the chicken wings marinate, the better. The wings absorb all of the spices and that flavor really penetrates to the bones. Some folks truly underestimate the power of a good marination process.
Place chicken wings onto a baking tray fitted with a wire rack (as pictured above) for nice airflow. Bake wings for one hour until crispy and golden brown. Once the chicken wings are ready, get ready to slather them up with that guava sauce. I love that these wings are no fuss, with no heavy oils, and baked to perfection!
How To Make The Guava Sauce
Y’all, when I tell you that this is a sauce you’ll want to guzzle on it’s own, ha! Guava has such a lovely and sweet taste on its own. When the guava flavor gets paired with other elements, it takes it up a notch. This guava sauce is sweet, a ‘lil salty, and so flavorful. It compliments these jerk chicken wings so well.
- To make this guava sauce: in a small saucepan, place the guava jam/jelly, soy sauce, vinegar, and garlic into the pan on medium-high heat. Let mixture come up to a slight boil and thicken. That’s it!
Can I Use Other Chicken Parts?
Yes! This recipe can be modified to your hearts content with chicken thighs, chicken legs, whole chicken wings, etc. Just be sure to use double seasoning to accommodate for larger chicken parts. Also, the guava sauce will need to be doubled as well as it may not be enough for larger chicken parts.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
- Caribbean Curry Goat
- Jamaican Rice and Peas
- Creamy Vegan Jerk Pasta
- One-Pot Creamy Beef Pasta
- Curry Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese
- Crispy Baked Honey Chipotle Wings
REMEMBER TO LEAVE A ⭐️STAR RATING⭐️AND TAG ME ON THE ‘GRAM IF YOU MAKE ANY OF MY RECIPES! I ALWAYS LOVE TO SEE IT WHEN YOU DO!
UNTIL NEXT TIME…LOVE AND BUTTER,
These baked jerk chicken wings are simply amazing; a touch of Caribbean-flavored heat with a delicious sweet and sticky guava sauce with heaps of flavor! So easy to make!
- 12 chicken wings, flats and/or drums
- 1 tablespoon dry Jamaican Jerk seasoning
- 1/2 cup guava jam or jelly
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste or minced garlic
- salt/pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine chicken wings and jerk seasoning. Toss wings together to fully coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and transfer to refrigerator. Let wings marinate for at least two hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. On a medium-sized baking sheet fitted with a wire rack, lightly spray rack with avocado/olive oil. Arrange chicken wings on rack and bake wings until golden brown and crispy, about 1 hour, or until wings are cooked through completely.
- For guava sauce: in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine guava jam/jelly, soy sauce, vinegar, and garlic. Stir together to fully incorporate and let mixture cook for until hot and slightly bubbly, about 3-5 minutes. Taste sauce and adjust seasoning with salt/pepper, to taste.
- Pour/brush guava sauce over chicken wings immediately and enjoy!
- If using other chicken parts or more chicken wings, be sure to double jerk seasoning and guava sauce to accomodate.
Keywords: appetizers, chicken, wings, guava, jerk